Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Italian WW2 cartridge shell

Article about: Please, let me know if anyone can identify the following Italian cartridge-shell marked SMI (1)940. It's broken, diameter at the base 15mm and it looks like a Lebel 8mm but it is not. Perhap

Default Unknown Italian WW2 cartridge shell

Please, let me know if anyone can identify the following Italian cartridge-shell marked SMI (1)940.
    It's broken, diameter at the base 15mm and it looks like a Lebel 8mm but it is not. Perhaps a mortar propellant cartridge?
    (I upload 2 Lebel 8mm pics from municion.org for comparison).
    Thank you in advance, Aghs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Italian WW2  cartridge shell   Unknown Italian WW2  cartridge shell  

Unknown Italian WW2  cartridge shell   Unknown Italian WW2  cartridge shell  

?

Compare it to a 10.4x47R Italian Vetterli cartridge......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

It looks like, but the year 1940 the Italians produced 10.4x47R Vetterli cartridges-adopted In 1867-?
    Aghs

?

Quote by aghsmac1 View Post
    It looks like, but the year 1940 the Italians produced 10.4x47R Vetterli cartridges-adopted In 1867-?
    Aghs
    They were shown with 1917 dates.They also made mult-ball loads,maybe they used them for prison guard use? I`m just guessing.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

In the world of handloading and cartridge conversions a different case could be converted to make the case that you need,the 8x50R Lebel case is one that is used to make 10.4x47R Italian cases,and since SMI was making the Lebel case in 1940 this is possibly a Handloaders made case.......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Pete, thank you very much for your valuable info.
    Finally, i realize that it is very difficult to recognize a shell if its broken. Measuring my own, base is 15mm, thickness 13mm (identical like the Vetterli shell) but overall height is 51mm instead of 47mm and it's not bottlenecked! Perhaps it is a conversion from a much longer shell.
    Regards, Aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Italian WW2  cartridge shell  
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown Italian WW2  cartridge shell