Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Projectile.

Article about: I can't imagine 75mm APHE rounds existed for very long before WWI, so I suspect it shouldn't be too difficult to identify this one- the British Ordnance Collectors group (or whatever they're

havoc
    ?

Default Unknown Projectile.

Hi All,

Would anyone be able to give me any info on this projectile i have come across?
    I have had a varied responce on another site, and was hoping for a more concrete one.
    Dia across bands is approx 75mm, length is approx 21cm.
    It has a holes for a base fuze, as im gathering by the 3/4 hollow inside it could be some kind of AP/HE?
    Some have said poss Belgium and Some Japanese, can anyone help further on this?
    It has no visable markings.

Many thanks,

Havoc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Projectile.   Unknown Projectile.  

Unknown Projectile.   Unknown Projectile.  

?

Default Re: Unknown Projectile.

from that brown-ish circle, i would say that this is austro -hungarian. ww1 actually a friend of mine collects a-h. militaria and he has some projectiles like this one. if i am mistaking i am sorry and i would ask someone to correct me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Projectile.  

?

A lack of detonator / fuse would point possibly towards a solid shot rather that HE / AP.

Therefore more than likely a "bunker buster" type round.

Gary J.

?

It depends on the depth of the cavity- if it's not fairly shallow, it's probably not just for a tracer. In the photo it looks pretty deep. The lack of parts there just means they're not there, right? They could have been removed at any time- I had to locate fuses for all my German AP rounds since the folks who disarmed them removed all the dangerous bits...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

It looks like its cast rarther than machine turned if this is so it is prob pre ww1.
    it has that look about it from the pic.
    Andy

Looks a lot like the QF 6 pounder Hotchkiss round.

Here is a diagram along with one of the base fuze as well.

Regards,

Spence
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Projectile.   Unknown Projectile.  

havoc
    ?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    A lack of detonator / fuse would point possibly towards a solid shot rather that HE / AP.

Therefore more than likely a "bunker buster" type round.

Gary J.
    Thanks for that Gary, i felt it could be along those lines. Thanks also to the other guy.
    If you can provide me with anything else it would be most appreciated.
    The Projectile is completeley out of my area as im into my German fuzes.
    Thanks so far for the info.
    Regards,
    H

havoc
    ?

The cavity is fairly deep, as like in the picture of the 6pdr.
    It does differ from that one as there is no canular and the projectile top is a continuation of the sides, no size differnce on diameter.
    As for maufacturing type, the hole in the top sugests a lathe to me rather than cast ???

?

Right, so if the cavity is deep, it is as suggested an APHE round, not solid shot and the threaded section is for a base fuse/tracer element. It has only one groove in the centre of the driving band and that diagram of the 6pdr. shows two- would that preclude the 6pdr. then? It honestly looks to me like a WWI style round but my area is WWII so I can't say for sure. And any series of horizontal, parallel lines still visible, however short, would point to machining-any sign of that? Given the surface corrosion, it's hard to tell anything about the manufacturing nature from those photos...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

havoc
    ?

Right ive had a closer look at the thing, I would say its cast, i thought it may have been turned, but not turning lines visable. The corrosion is actually very light and a fair % of the original paint remains.
    Im also thinking WW1 or Pre.
    But the thing that would clinch it is the Country of origin.
    APHE looks right, the cavity is certainly too large just for tracer.

Cheers for your post Matt.
    Best,
    H.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast