Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Shell Cases

Article about: I found a pair of shell cases in a junk shop over the weekend - I paid £10 for the pair. One is dated Feb 1918, made by FN - which I believe to be Belgian? The other one is made by A.C Co -

?

Default Unknown Shell Cases

I found a pair of shell cases in a junk shop over the weekend - I paid £10 for the pair.
    One is dated Feb 1918, made by FN - which I believe to be Belgian?
    The other one is made by A.C Co - i cannot find who this was manufactured by?
    It appears to be dated 4 26 16 - is this American style date 26th April 1916?
    Both the shell cases are identical in size.
    Does anyone have any further info?
    Thanks very much
    Unknown Shell CasesUnknown Shell CasesUnknown Shell CasesUnknown Shell Cases

The only American company I found with those initials are the "American Cutlery company". They were indeed a government contractor based in Chicago during ww1 and known for making the knuckle knives. Not sure if it's the same company but maybe at least something to rule out.

Unknown Shell Cases

Hi the left one with FN is French made by Fabrique Nationale

?

Very interesting re the American cutlery co, it certainly is a possibility. Had another search today, still cannot find any further info re this manufacturer. Anyone got any suggestions for places to research the maker? Thanks

The case marked 'FN' is WW1 German.

'HL' is Haniel Luge Dusseldorf ( where the brass was made ) and 27 is the inspection number. The circled 'FN' stands for Friedrich Niemeyer, the munitions factory.