Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Shell casing "shot glass". need help

Article about: I recently picked up a Shell casing turned into a "Shot Glass." It had unusual markings and was hoping someone could identify the type, country and era this may have come from. Tha

?

Default Unknown Shell casing "shot glass". need help

I recently picked up a Shell casing turned into a "Shot Glass." It had unusual markings and was hoping someone could identify the type, country and era this may have come from. Thanks.

Unknown Shell casing "shot glass". need helpUnknown Shell casing "shot glass". need helpUnknown Shell casing "shot glass". need helpUnknown Shell casing "shot glass". need help

?

It`s Japanese,made at Toyokawa arsenal in 1917 I believe.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Thanks Pete... It did look like Japanese Characters.. but wasn't sure. I see a couple of anchors on it... maybe Navy? Also, what caliber do you think? Type of gun?

?

Hi,if the rim radius is about 42mm it could be a 25x163mm type 96 which was used in a Hotchkiss canon used by the Japanese navy for shipboard defence, Toyokawa is a navy arsenal..I was wrong on the date,it is 1942..Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Yes, 42mm... thanks Pete!

?

Hi Pete... I read up a bit about the type 96 and the Hotchkiss canon. Apparently it was a main Imperial Japanese Naval AT/AA gun on their ships during WW2. As you mentioned that it may have been produced/manufactured in 1917, could it have been an old round from 1917, used in WW2? Or could it have possibly been manufactured in 1943 (which would be Year 17 of the rule of Emperor Hirohito?). If I recall, or stand corrected...is the date different than the actual year?

?

If you look at post #4 you will see I had corrected the date to 1942, so it is Showa September 1942.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Sorry Pete, I missed it. Thanks again.

Yep-as said above, it's a Japanese Naval WWII round. I like the crosshatching engraving to it-Very nice!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Xanthus151
    ?

Obal7. I know this is an old thread. But I was looking for images of Japanese shell casing shot glasses, because I was watching a WWII documentary when I remembered my grandfather telling me years ago how he used to make shot glasses out of used Japanese shell casings on a lathe that washed up on the island he was stationed on. Since he was an avid anti-drinker, he never kept any. And I realize that there were probably many people doing the same thing. But it is awesome to see an example of what one of his glasses might have looked like.