Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US Hand/Bomb Dropped Projectile

Article about: a fellow collector gave this piece to me and told me the Germans would drop them from planes. did a bit of research but only came up with one example on a reference site. supposedly this is

Default US Hand/Bomb Dropped Projectile

a fellow collector gave this piece to me and told me the Germans would drop them from planes. did a bit of research but only came up with one example on a reference site. supposedly this is from ww2 and judging by condition looks like its never been dropped. I have asked people about the piece and they had never seen anything like it before. its very heavy and appears to be made of lead. Also a faded line is visible around the top of the projectile. I have no clue if this is what it is said to have been. Are they rare? Also is there a name for this projectile? Forgot to mention there is no charge in the item and appears there never was (relied on weight to carry it downwards)
    Thanks and happy hunting,
    Beau US Hand/Bomb Dropped ProjectileUS Hand/Bomb Dropped Projectile

No mention of this in the Picattiny Arsenal dictionary of German ordnance. I checked the bomb, projectile and container sections. It does not mean the Luftwaffe did not use this type. If someone can locate a designation I can look it up but I came up empty handed with this initial search of a definitive resource. NH

A post WW2 US Lazy Dog flechette type air dropped weapon for sure.
    Nasty little critters.

All the best

Dave

thanks guys for the responses, Neil, I too had a very hard time locating this and could barley find anything anywhere. I think dusca nailed this one. Wikipedia may be wrong but judging by that link dusca gave me its an early version of the "Lazy Dog (Bomb)" also referred to sometimes as "buzz bombs" or "lawn darts". Dont know exactly how early mine is as it just says its "early" how early... I have no clue. Could have been used during ww2 or shortly after. also it says that they were dropped on battlefields from high above and could reach up to 500 mph before it hit the ground. That is fast! It was used in Vietnam when enemy troops were hiding in heavily covered areas.
    thanks for the info!

oh thanks! this is an interesting piece indeed thanks again guys for leading me in the right direction!

A nice little bomblet, and a very good link from Duska.

I've moved this to 'Ordnance and Ammo' where it
    may get more views and/or comments.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I just bought one from this guy in the US... Vintage Lazy DOG Bomb NON Explosive Kinetic Missile Early Style Forged Body | eBay

Lets just hope i dont get in trouble from out boarder control. I know its non explosive but Aussie customs are very strict. I will soon find out haha
    US Hand/Bomb Dropped Projectile

Doesn't have to be explosive Marc - as a "projectile" they still may nab it .........

Good luck.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast