Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What is this ammo

Article about: by AZPhil 11mm( .43 mauser) ???????????????? The 11mm is what I was just looking at.But did not found much info on it ,just that the french made it.

Default Re: What is this ammo

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    11mm( .43 mauser) ????????????????
    The 11mm is what I was just looking at.But did not found much info on it ,just that the french made it.

To be honest Chris it looks to me like an 'exploded' cartridge, as suggested by the other guys. I've found 303's, 30's and even 50cals like this. All tapering gone, splits on the rim.

Cheers

Steve T

PS Only way to be totally sure is via the headstamp which, unfortunately, looks long since corroded away.

Here the pictures .
    Attached Images Attached Images What is this ammo  What is this ammo 

Rim and primer ring look the same to me. If they are differnt got to be same maker thanks for the rim pics Chris.

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Rim and primer ring look the same to me. If they are differnt got to be same maker thanks for the rim pics Chris.
    It does look larger.but that just could be me.I am thinking it could be 11mm french .

?

I agree with zwerge, Eric and Steve- they look the same to me, save the one on the left having had some rather significant issues with its neck. I can see a horizontal shadow on it at the same point that is the base of the neck on the intact case, and the cracking where it'd be much narrower just supports the idea; compressed the way it is to form a neck, the metal's not just going to happily stretch back out again, but would more likely split.

Are the measurements other than the neck area the same? Base diameter, body diameter and overall length?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    I agree with zwerge, Eric and Steve- they look the same to me, save the one on the left having had some rather significant issues with its neck. I can see a horizontal shadow on it at the same point that is the base of the neck on the intact case, and the cracking where it'd be much narrower just supports the idea; compressed the way it is to form a neck, the metal's not just going to happily stretch back out again, but would more likely split.

Are the measurements other than the neck area the same? Base diameter, body diameter and overall length?
    Yes the base and the length is the same, the body is a little bigger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this ammo  

I have to agree as mentioned previously, it looks like a round thats detonated outside the breech. I can't see that old type of case having the power to discharge such a large round as what it looks like it should.

definately looks like a split cartridge as these guys have descrived the crack certainly explains the loss of shape at the bottleneck and as the guys have all said plenty of rounds cooked off or froze etc to supply this kind of finish

Thank you guys for all your input,Well now I know ,It is just a 8mm Lebel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast