Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

What are these?

Article about: A buddy of mine brought these to me the other day and was wondering what they were. They are brass cased, rimmed, center fire projectiles. The projectile is threaded at the base and approxim

cbobuck
    ?

Default What are these?

A buddy of mine brought these to me the other day and was wondering what they were. They are brass cased, rimmed, center fire projectiles. The projectile is threaded at the base and approximately twice as long as the case. The only conclusion I can come up with is that they are launching projectiles designed to be inserted (screwed into) a larger projectile, possibly a mortar or rifle grenade. There is no headstamp on any of the cases but they are all painted with a different color. I assume the paint is to identify different powder charges for ranging.

?

Default Re: What are these?

I'm thinking they're some form of explosive bolt, the worm grooves on the shafts would seem to indicate that once fired the bolts secure tightly by turning into the subject matter, i would also suggest these could be live and potentially dangerous, so i would advise care and dont drop them or knock them

Yes, I would agree. From the colours on the bases, I think this may have
    something to do with the strength of the cartridge (?). I have seen
    similar ( but smaller ) shells for impact type concrete nail guns.

Not military, IMO, - but they are live.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-09-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Additional text.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Now look what you've gone and done ! You've made Davejb THINK !!!! He's going to have a headache for WEEKS now......

I have to say I am with WW on this one. I too have seen very similar cartridges for a nail gun and, as pointed out, they are live. Be careful with them.

Steve T

cbobuck
    ?

I don't see how they could be concrete anchors. By comparison to concrete projectiles of today these are massive. I also don't understand why they would be threaded at the base, that just wouldn't work on concrete.

from left to right:unknown, .223 rem, 300 blackout

Well, if they're ordnance related, I am sure Tony E will be able to help you. Just not seen anything like these before from an ordnance perspective.

?

Thats why i think they are an explosive bolt, once penetrated the threaded portion is used to secure another piece of equipment onto it

?

They are concrete anchors as suggested. It is difficult to tell but the cases look like .38 Special, which is a nornal calibre for this type of tool cartridge. The pointed and serrated part embeds in the concrete leaving the threaded part sticking out to act as a stud for attachng whatever, just as Dave says.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Hi

I use Hilti nail guns here a lot here and these look like they are for fixing into steel beams. you notice the knurled bit above the thread ?
    this forms a friction weld as it goes into the steel and then you fit a hex nut to the thread and hang the aplication to it. i.e steel tray work for power cable or similar.

either way i would not like to be on the recieving end of it

regards nick ,,
    Last edited by jeeeensy; 04-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.