Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are these shells?

Article about: Bought these two interesting shells at a fair a while back. Very little marking on both, one has EP 97(1897 i assume) on it, the other only has V and a small dot on it. According to the guy

Default What are these shells?

Bought these two interesting shells at a fair a while back. Very little marking on both, one has EP 97(1897 i assume) on it, the other only has V and a small dot on it.

According to the guy who sold it, the hollow tips were filled with steel balls, so that the projectile could be shot into a bunker. Maybe to disable its crew but not to destroy it? I got them relatively cheap but I'm curious about them. 1 Pounder is for scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images What are these shells?  What are these shells? 

?

Default Re: What are these shells?

Are the heads completely hollow ?

.. Maybe they are "leaflet" shells .. that dispersed paperwork in the air ?

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Are the heads completely hollow ?

.. Maybe they are "leaflet" shells .. that dispersed paperwork in the air ?

Gary J.
    100% hollow. Didn't knew they did that back then.

Hi These are canister rounds.
    they were filled with lead or steal balls and a steel closing plate wend in the base. then they were used like a large shotgun.
    nice items but being thin brass they pick up dents easy so dont drop them.
    Andy

Quote by dogdog47 View Post
    Hi These are canister rounds.
    they were filled with lead or steal balls and a steel closing plate wend in the base. then they were used like a large shotgun.
    nice items but being thin brass they pick up dents easy so dont drop them.
    Andy
    Thanks alot! I did some searching and my best guess is that this shell belongs to a Dutch 57mm "6-veld" cannon. But there are no measurements of the actual shells to be found, so i have to look at pictures and an old instructional video.

The projectile diameter is the same, but i can't find any record of how long the casing is. They "look" about as long as the ones from a "6-veld", so its my best guess.

But anyways thanks for the info!

they look like 6 poundr hotchkiss rounds but its hard to tell i think the cases are too short but the projectiles are too long would a complete round have the same overall dimentions as the 6pounder?
    nice rounds though.

they look like 6 poundr hotchkiss rounds but its hard to tell i think the cases are too short but the projectiles are too long would a complete round have the same overall dimentions as the 6pounder?
    nice rounds though.
    The length of the casing is about 225mm. Heres a picture of the 6-veld gun i think it belongs too: Enlarged picture [War over Holland - May 1940: the Dutch struggle]

this looks about right from memory i think they will be 57mm the 6pounder was also used in the early tanks that is when these made some sence you could fire into trenches or if you had the enamy on your mates tank you could clear them off. canister rounds are still used for this i belive.
    Andy

?

The rounds are for the 57mm Nordenfelt Fortress gun, which was also used in the first German tanks as previously mentioned. The EP headstamp signifies that one was made in Belgium. The other one could be of UK manufacture. The groove around the prmer is characteristic of Nordenfelt ammo.

this looks about right from memory i think they will be 57mm the 6pounder was also used in the early tanks that is when these made some sence you could fire into trenches or if you had the enamy on your mates tank you could clear them off. canister rounds are still used for this i belive.
    Andy
    Quote by HAZORD View Post
    The rounds are for the 57mm Nordenfelt Fortress gun, which was also used in the first German tanks as previously mentioned. The EP headstamp signifies that one was made in Belgium. The other one could be of UK manufacture. The groove around the prmer is characteristic of Nordenfelt ammo.
    So you mean the Cockerill-Nordenfelt fortification gun?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast