Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

What WW1 shell was this & has it been fired from a smoothbore cannon / exploded OR

Article about: I hope I get some replies to this conundrum...... What WW1 shell was this & has it been fired from a smoothbore cannon / exploded OR unfired & just broken ? PS It has been painted fo

Default What WW1 shell was this & has it been fired from a smoothbore cannon / exploded OR

I hope I get some replies to this conundrum......

What WW1 shell was this & has it been fired from a smoothbore cannon / exploded OR unfired & just broken ?
    PS It has been painted for display by previous owner / too rusty and pitted on the base to see any stampings. Found in France.

Approx diameter 9cm at the base and copper is approx 9.5cm diameter

Please see photos.......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What WW1 shell was this & has it been fired from a smoothbore cannon / exploded OR   What WW1 shell was this & has it been fired from a smoothbore cannon / exploded OR  

?

It would not of been fired from a smoothbore cannon.

The whole point of the copper driving band is to spin stabilise the projectile through a rifled cannon.

What happened to this projectile, most certainly unfired and just damaged by another source.

Lightbulb

Possibly the remains of an Allied shell - similar German WW1 shells tended to have much narrower driving bands.

It is a WW1 period QF fixed projectile, (looks about 6, Pdr or even 3 Pdr Cow Gun!). The diameter is required for a positive identification. It was Gunpowder filled, with a nose fuze, the 'burst' of the shell is indicative of that but as it is not fired I suspect that fire or some external influence may have caused it.

Jb4046 - Are you trying to learn about ammunition?

It is a WW1 period QF fixed projectile, (looks about 6, Pdr or even 3 Pdr Cow Gun!). The diameter is required for a positive identification. It was Gunpowder filled, with a nose fuze, the 'burst' of the shell is indicative of that but as it is not fired I suspect that fire or some external influence may have caused it.

Jb4046 - Are you trying to learn about ammunition?