Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

was wondering if somebody can help me identify these artillery shells

Article about: hi. I found these old artillery shells at a yard sale.and was wondering if somebody could help me identify them.I am also a little worried they might be loaded. The tallest is around 10 3/4

JDSFLOORS61
    ?

Default was wondering if somebody can help me identify these artillery shells

hi. I found these old artillery shells at a yard sale.and was wondering if somebody could help me identify them.I am also a little worried they might be loaded. The tallest is around 10 3/4 inchs tall . The other is around 7 3/4 . They weight around 8 or9 pounds each thanks in advance. John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture was wondering if somebody can help me identify these artillery shells  

?

Default Re: was wondering if somebody can help me identify these artillery shells

I can't help you on the ID side of things. But if you have any doubt as to them being live "loaded" I would put them somewhere safe & out of harms way..Because if they do go bang it going to end in tears!!! If you have more pictures we might be able to help.. But do be careful.... Cheers Terry.

JDSFLOORS61
    ?

Default Re: was wondering if somebody can help me identify these artillery shells

thanks i put them away in the back garage where noone can get to them till i get them checked out thanks john

tfb5701
    ?

Look at the bottom. They likely have a hole there. If the is large and threaded and empty, than you are ok. I highly doubt these are loaded. Post a picture of the bottom of these for me or others to confirm this for you.

These appear to be APC-BC(armor piercing capped, ballistic capped) projectiles. One still has the hollow windscreen(taller one) and one is missing it(shorter one). Some of these had a small HE compartment that opened to the outside at the bottom and was sealed in with a base fuze. The driving band(copper rings) isn't right for a 75mm sherman tank round so I'm going to say these are probably projectiles for the 3"/50 naval gun. More pictures would help the ID. If the diameter of the round is right about 3 inches, than I would guess thats what they are.

Look like 25 pounders?

tfb5701
    ?

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    Look like 25 pounders?
    Can't be 25 pounders if they weigh "8-9 lbs" as is mentioned in the original post.

?

When you ask for identification please mention some measurements, most important the diameter, other wise it is guessing. The look 76 mm APC rounds to me.