Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

World War 1 88mm case

Article about: Hi all, My travelling salesman called round to my house with some new shells for me. One of them is a 1914 dated 88. It is made from steel with a brass base. The dimensions match the shells

Default World War 1 88mm case

Hi all,
    My travelling salesman called round to my house with some new shells for me. One of them is a 1914 dated 88. It is made from steel with a brass base. The dimensions match the shells used on first world war u-boat deck guns
    It is nearly the same dimensions as my WW2 88mm flak case. I have photographed them together so they can be compared.
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 1 88mm case   World War 1 88mm case  

?

Default Re: World War 1 88mm case

Hey, that's cool Simon- I had no idea the 8,8cm was so old an ammunition type. I guess the Imperial guys would be able to say if the crown and 'M' at the top indicates it's a Navy weapon? That might explain why it's not so well-known as its WWII counterpart- if it was only used on ships; it surely wasn't a widely-used anti-aircraft weapon like it was later. The later weapon's designation of Flak18 always suggested it was a purpose-designed very late-war AA gun, but it must be an adaptation of an earlier Naval gun?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks Matt. From what I understand, the 8.8cm gun that this shell was from is a completely different gun to the more famous 8.8cm from later years.
    I was over the moon when this turned up at my door for the expensive price of £16
    Regards to all, Simon.

Any 'Imperial guys' got any thoughts on this shell?
    Thanks in advance, Simon.

shadowwolf, indeed a shell for the 8.8cm Ubts L/30 Schnelladekanone, developed by Krupp in 1898, originally for river and coastal gunboats. During WW1 it became the standard U-Boat armament. As you have said bears no resemblence to the '88' of WW2 fame. I would imagine this to be a rare piece, well worth £16 !

oradour,
    Thanks for the comments. What sort of value would you put on this shell?
    Regards, Simon.

Simon, sorry for late reply....value, thats a toughy !...I must admit that i dont know, I have never seen one for sale before !.....I have a small collection of shell cases, mostly 77mm, a couple of larger calibre cases....but nothing quite as grand as your 88, its got to be rare (especially associated with WW1 U-Boats), so at a guess, a collector would pay over £100+.

oradour,
    Thanks for the reply. Flak 88 shells in ok condition sell for about £60, so your estimate of £100+ for a WW1 U-boat deck cannon shell is what I like to hear. Mind you its not for sale, its not my favourite shell, that would have to be my 20mm Flak or the 88 Flak, but I am very proud to own it
    Thanks for your help. Oh, if another one turns up I'll let you have first refusal on it
    Regards, Simon.

Simon,
    Some people just have all the luck! Any chance of an introduction to your deliveryman?
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Hi Guy,
    He gets alot of militaria all the time, I buy some of it, I'll have a chat with him and, as long as he agrees, see what he can get for you. He travels the country visiting estate sale auctions, he buys and sells a lot of different collectables. What are you after, and I'll ask him? He only charges a few pounds on top of the original cost, ie my shell only cost him a tenner, and he added on the other six pounds
    Regards, Simon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast