Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

World War 2 Shell Cases

Article about: I have four shell cases that my father brought back from the war. Two large two small. The large ones are approx 10 1/4inches high. Both Flak 18 & dated 1937 & 1938 The smaller ones

Default World War 2 Shell Cases

I have four shell cases that my father brought back from the war. Two large two small.
    The large ones are approx 10 1/4inches high. Both Flak 18 & dated 1937 & 1938
    The smaller ones are 4 1/4 inches high one has the writing MP1942 AL. underneath it has 20-MM-MK-2
    I would be interested to know of their worth. I always thought they were RAF shells but could be german Im sure the ensigna is RAF. (Like a bird with three stripes going out from each side)
    I dont have photos of them but will take some and post them to the site. I have just come on here this evening so have yet to figure how to upload photos.
    Sorry this sounds a bit vague but my knowlege of this subject is very limited.
    Cheers Lisa

Default Re: World War 2 Shell Cases

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the forum!

The Flak 18 are certainly German and are 88mm anti aircraft shell cases.

The 20mm cases are Allied.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The German 88 casings are desirable to collectors as well, as the gun itself is legendary...and I've seen them sell at around $200 and up at auction...
    Welcome to the Forum, Glenn

welcome lisa,nice to see ladies on the site.

Welcome to the forum.

Oh! Thats nice to hear the larger ones being desirable. I grew up with these shell cases on display in the home. The large ones were used for keeping pens & pencils in. The small ones for sewing needles. lol
    Never thought of them being worth anything other than a reminder of my late father. Just itemising stuff that may get turfed when I kick the bucket with son not being aware of true value of items. will put up items tonight when I have a bit more time. Thanks for the quick response.

Hope this works Here is the attachments
    cheers Lisa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 2 Shell Cases   World War 2 Shell Cases  

World War 2 Shell Cases   World War 2 Shell Cases  

Oh good it worked first time.. Here is how I display them at home.
    Any information regarding these shells will be appreciated.
    Cheers Lisa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 2 Shell Cases  

?

I am sorry Lisa, but you are being mislead here. The larger German shells are not 88mm cases (Read the original post guys, they are 10 1/4 inches tall!).

They are in fact 37mm rounds for the German light anti-aircraft gun (as it says on the base). The bird you describe is a stylised Nazi eagle known as a "Waffenamt" and is an inspectors mark signifying it has been passed for service. These cases are fairly common and in nice condition like yours are probably worth about £20-£30 here in the UK.

The other two are 20mm Oerlikon rounds for the ant-aircraft cannon used by both the Commonwealth and American army and Navy. the one marked "RH" was made by the Raleigh Cycle Company in the UK and the other by an unknown U.S. company. Again, these are common cases to be found here so regrettably not worth very much in financial terms. However, since they were your father's they are worth far more in terms of memory.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Thanks for that Tony. Nice to get some information on them. Not concerned about their worth, have always liked them as ornaments. Given that they haven't been laquered they polish up quite well.
    Cheers Lisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast