Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

ww 2 ? shell identification

Article about: First of all would like to say what a great forum.Keeps me occupied for hours !.I have a shell that ive had for many years and wish to know what it is and what it is worth.Though i have no w

Default ww 2 ? shell identification

First of all would like to say what a great forum.Keeps me occupied for hours !.I have a shell that ive had for many years and wish to know what it is and what it is worth.Though i have no wish to sell it as its a great item.I believe it to be WW 2 because of a stamp on the bottom and possibly naval because of it's size,4 feet !.The top half is marked as follows ,
    LC/N 3985
    4.5 9
    FA ^
    s
    FS
    PL 1.40 Lot 42

The bottom half is marked
    45 GUN (at the top 12 o'clock)

LOT 101
    84 S
    80 Y7
    N

There are a few symbols etc that i can't quite make out.Im in the process of polishing it (no easy job !) and will upload photos when im done should any member be interested.Any help identifying this would be very much appreciated.I hope ive not taken up too much space on an very informative site.All the best for the future.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww 2 ? shell identification  

Default Re: ww 2 ? shell identification

WOW !

That's a big bugger

Most of the stamps on the base of these casings are check marks and quality control stuff. The 1939 is the date of manufacture,.

On the projectile itself the 4.5 is almost certainly the calibre. So you have a 4.5inch shell I was right....it is a big bugger . This probably also means that the '45 gun' mark on the shell base is also the calibre. Are you sure there isn't a feint dot between to 4 and the 5 ? Looking at the rest of the markings and accounting for the 1939 on the casing, I would say the PL is the manufacturer, the 1.40 the date (January 1940) and the LOT the lot number

Make sure you don't polish off the markings !

Have a look in the restoring and refurbishing section. I put up a method of cleaning small arms ammo back to 'shiney' that you may be able to use

Cheers

Steve T

Ooops !

I forgot.

Welcome to the forum

It's probably worth in the region of £60 to £100 I'd say. Certainly I wouldn't fall of my seat in astonishment if I saw it for that kind of price.

Steve T

Hi Steve T.Many thanks for your reply,its been a great help.Do you think it could have used on a ship or more likely some kind of mobile gun ?.Im not too clued up on these things.My main interest is aircraft.My late father was tail gunner in lancasters and im currently trying to research his war record which is proving rather difficult.Will take your advice with the polishing.All the best :-)

Hi its a 4.5 alright.
    wartime ones are hard to get now they were used in the anti aircraft roll and on ships also. i would not polish it though if you want to preserve the value but if you want it to look and value is no issue. i have seen ww2 examples sell for between 120 & 150 as long as there is no dents or plits in the case and not pollished.
    Regards
    Andy

Snailster66, if you can get hold of your Grandfathers service number you should be able to track his records through "Veterans Uk" on this site:- Setvice Records,Medals and Badges
    Good luck, Simon.

Many thanks dogdog47 and shadowwolf.Unfortunatly ive not much choice regarding pollishing it up as its has allot of paint and other unknown things on it that dont show on the picture.Ill certainly check out the website to do with war records.All the best.