Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig

Article about: picked this up last week from ebay luckily only 3 miles from my house postage would have been a shocker ,,, sometime in its life it was turned into an umbrella stand,i have also posted a pic

?

Default ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig

picked this up last week from ebay luckily only 3 miles from my house postage would have been a shocker ,,, sometime in its life it was turned into an umbrella stand,i have also posted a pic of the one thats in iwm , rgds Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig   ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig  

Attached Images Attached Images ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig  ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig 

Default Re: ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig

Quote by sscrooge View Post
    picked this up last week from ebay luckily only 3 miles from my house postage would have been a shocker ,,, sometime in its life it was turned into an umbrella stand,i have also posted a pic of the one thats in iwm , rgds Dave
    Thats a nice item youve got there! I once had the 6-inch version which was a relic found on the Somme. They sure make impressive display pieces and well done snapping this one up as you dont see them that often. Sure would not want one of them coming down into your trench-wouldve certainly been enough to spoil anyones day! Best Regards, Tim.

?

Quote by sscrooge View Post
    You were lucky as it was so near - it would have been an hour drive for me and the seller didn't answer any of my emails, so I wasnt going to set off without knowing it was still for sale - think it will look great cleaned up and with the right fuse - I have seen so many similar on the battlefields, but only ever take photos.

?

I decided to restore it as its apparently quite a rarity i had discs welded back in place ,now its in the paint shop , i still need a fuze tho, cheers Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig  

?

Quote by NickW View Post
    You were lucky as it was so near - it would have been an hour drive for me and the seller didn't answer any of my emails, so I wasnt going to set off without knowing it was still for sale - think it will look great cleaned up and with the right fuse - I have seen so many similar on the battlefields, but only ever take photos.
    Hi, he wouldnt reply to my emails either so i went thru his other listings and found he was also selling a car which had his phone number added :-)

Very nice piece of ordnance... I too would like to have one....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

And of course E-bay are so strict on what is sold !!!!!!

Nice one !

Regards

Gary J.

?

Unless it can be classified as "Trench Art" ;-)

?

Back from paint shop, i did ask for it in matt but it came back gloss,, oh well suspose its better than a rusty umbrella stand,, rgds Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 9.45 mortar flying pig  

I think you made the right choice to have it restored, even though its not 100% exactly the same as it would have been before it started getting used for an umbrella stand, it still looks very nice

Thanks for sharing

Danny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast