Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells

Article about: Guys I have a family connection with the above, I have picked up a few relic style 18pdr complete shells, i want to restore to original condition as it were, ie paint scheme and so forth Any

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    To be honest, I am going the other way, I am becoming far more interested in WW1, my family fought and died in both wars.
    My great uncle was RFA and KIA at Passchendaele, hence my renewed interest in WW1. Last year, and especially October was special for me and the family

cheers
    I'm actually in a similar boat to you. My great-great grandfather fought in the First World War after coming over from Ireland with his two brothers. He was the only one to come back. I don't know much about any of them, unfortunately, as I don't have any service numbers or medals as a starting point for research. I believe one of them died on the Somme, but that's as much as I know.

Both of my great grandfathers fought in Africa and Italy in World War II, which partially explains my interest for that particular conflict. I can't really explain why I have such an intense interest in that part of history. I just always have, as long as I can remember. The hobby takes on a whole different meaning when it's driven by a passion for family history, rather than the broader scope of things.

B.B.

You need to research your family history, its important, our history makes us who we are today.

My great uncle was forgotten for many years until I got involved. Now he will never be forgotten as long as I am around

He was KIA Oct 1917, we have even visited where its most likely he was killed, on the exact day 100 years later
    I will visit his grave every year as long as I can

CBH
    ?

I don't know if this is helpful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells  

Thanks Chris

Below is a slightly wider example of colouration on the different 18pdr QF projectiles (from Aus Dept. of Defence):

Keep in mind from the above, that the chemical & incendiary projectiles were introduced into the British army ~ 1918, so would have been slightly too late to have been used at Passchendaele:

My g-uncle was an arty-man (18pdr QF) with the 7th Bty, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade, with the A.I.F. (per my avatar) - his battery was the first Australian artillery battery to land all of their guns on Gallipoli & go into action (initial fighting was so close-quarters, they were fusing their shrapnel shells at "0" & using the 18pdrs essentially like massive shotguns almost point-blank into the charging Turkish troops). Up until his gun took a direct hit in late August 1915, resulting in mortal injuries, he kept a diary intricately detailing trajectories, fuse settings & types of shells used through his gun for the first 4 months of the campaign - the vast, vast majority of these were shrapnel shells, with a very small number of HE later on (which were in incredibly short supply via the British on the peninsula). I would imagine Passchendaele would have been much the same (projectile type) for both Australian & British Forces.

Quote by satchiel View Post
    Below is a slightly wider example of colouration on the different 18pdr QF projectiles (from Aus Dept. of Defence):

Keep in mind from the above, that the chemical & incendiary projectiles were introduced into the British army ~ 1918, so would have been slightly too late to have been used at Passchendaele:

My g-uncle was an arty-man (18pdr QF) with the 7th Bty, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade, with the A.I.F. (per my avatar) - his battery was the first Australian artillery battery to land all of their guns on Gallipoli & go into action (initial fighting was so close-quarters, they were fusing their shrapnel shells at "0" & using the 18pdrs essentially like massive shotguns almost point-blank into the charging Turkish troops). Up until his gun took a direct hit in late August 1915, resulting in mortal injuries, he kept a diary intricately detailing trajectories, fuse settings & types of shells used through his gun for the first 4 months of the campaign - the vast, vast majority of these were shrapnel shells, with a very small number of HE later on (which were in incredibly short supply via the British on the peninsula). I would imagine Passchendaele would have been much the same (projectile type) for both Australian & British Forces.
    Many thanks for that, very pleased to read about your family history

My great uncle was C Bty, 95th Brigade. During October when he was killed just east of Hellfire corner near Hooge, they were supporting ANZAC troops I believe

cheers

Default Shrapnel/HE 18Pdr colour codes WWI

Just a quick look through google gather the shrapnels would have a timed fuse and the HE perhaps the graze fuse.
    Pic #1 Shrapnel
    Pic #2 H.E
    Pic #3 Shrapnel

In relation to #15 posts on the shortages with ammunition for the guns it was almost criminal that the British were so ill prepared on that score the Peninsular was not the only place suffering the Western Front was as well.

"The Shell Crisis of 1915 was a shortage of artillery shells on the front lines of World War I that led to a political crisis in Britain. ... The "shell scandal" emerged in 1915 because the high rate of fire over a long period was not anticipated and the stock of shells became depleted."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells  WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2