MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-

Article about: by Cannonman17 Here we go, full length picture. Also, this little screw cap thingy came in the box with the grenade but doesn't seem like it belongs... anybody know what it's to? Also, I tri

Default WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-

Can anybody tell me anything about this piece? I recieved it as part of a box full of stuff in a trade, guy thought it was a WW1 smoke grenade. Looks like it's had plenty of work done to it, don't even know if any of it is original or what it is. ANY help would be greatly appreciated in terms of I.D. and/or approximate value on the market. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help- 

Default Re: WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-

WW1 German trainning grenade ,the stick does not look right.

Cool. The stick not being right wouldn't surprise me at all. Why all the holes though? Is that from demilling or how they were made?

The holes and red paint are both for identifying that it is for practice.

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-08-2010 at 05:15 AM.

I have one in my collection now,that I found last month in Meuse Argonne with no stick .I saw one for sale in France for 50 euros with no stick I have not seen one in the states so the price could be more ?

Hi Cannonman, nice grenade you found. It is a "practice" grenade, not a smoke grendade. The holes in the head or "can" are Not to show it is Inert......they are emission holes....to let the smoke from the practice charge out, so it can be seen. They would be able see the smoke, and determine if they were hitting their target, or their throws needed to be corrected.

Here is a link to more info:

WW1 Practice Stickgrenades

Regards, Steve
    Dr. Ruby
    Last edited by Kilroy Was Here; 05-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi Cannonman, nice grenade you found. The holes in the head or "can" are Not to show it is Inert......they are emission holes....to let the smoke from the practice charge out, so it can be seen. They would be able see the smoke, and determine if they were hitting their target, or their throws needed to be corrected.

Here is a link to more info:

WW1 Practice Stickgrenades

Regards, Steve
    Dr. Ruby
    The red colouring usually means an inert body no?,
    but maybe only for Allied ordnance ? !

I don't know why there would be a need
    for 'Practice' Smoke Grenades.
    They are non lethal.

Maybe the difference between "Training" and "Practice" is confusing me,
    as there are two distinct types ...................!

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-08-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Here is a WW1 1915 second model grenade that I made a wood handle for. I had the head and orig fitting in good shape, but no stick.
    So if you do not like the shape of your repro stick, it is possible for you to play around with it until it looks correct.....or you can just make a new one, and age it.

How about a pic of the complete handle on this practice grenade Cannonman?
    I could not see it completely.

Regards, Steve
    Dr.Ruby
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-   WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-   WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

Last edited by Kilroy Was Here; 05-08-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The red colouring usually means an inert body,
    but maybe only for Allied ordnance ? !

I don't know why there would be a need
    for 'Practice' Smoke Grenades.
    They are non lethal.

Regards, Steve.

Steve....all soldiers practice before using high explosive versions. The Germans used Red for their practice grenades in WWI and WWII. They are not supposed lethal, they are for I have already described.......to perfect your throw.

Yes we (the US) used Red for a period of time in the 1920's. They say we copied it from the French, as their trainer F1's were Red. We switched to Blue color trainers in the late 1930's. The earliest blue trainer that I have seen that can verify is 1939, because the original black cardboard can it is in is dated this '39.

Here is a pic of my early US red trainer.......

Regards, Steve
    P.S. Cannonman's is a Practice grenade, not a Smoke grenade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-   WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

Indeed, this is a 'practice grenade'.

Smoke grenades are solely for masking/signaling, and are non lethal,

2 types of grenades: Training (Inert ) and Practice ( with a small charge )
    Training grenades are used in teaching how to handle and use grenades safely.
    Practice grenades have a hole and a charge inside which emits a puff of smoke
    and a report to signal a detonation has occurred.

Your US 'red' grenade was used for practice, and this is what the red paint signifies.

I think I'm getting it now...........!

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-08-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast