Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-

Article about: by Cannonman17 Here we go, full length picture. Also, this little screw cap thingy came in the box with the grenade but doesn't seem like it belongs... anybody know what it's to? Also, I tri

Default Re: WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-

Quote by Cannonman17 View Post
    Here we go, full length picture. Also, this little screw cap thingy came in the box with the grenade but doesn't seem like it belongs... anybody know what it's to? Also, I tried to twist the head of the grenade off the stick, no luck. I didn't try spraying it with anything because I don't want to run through the snow out to the garage to get some..

Hi Cannonman, thanks for posting complete pics. It's a nice looking old grenade. The stick as first said is not right, and a repro someone made. It's not bad looking, and like I said you can work on it a bit if it bothers you.

The little screw cap is from a WW2 M24 stick grenade, and obvious it will not screw onto your stick that has no threaded end fitting. You could put it on the end of your stick for display with a little glue or epoxy. It will look OK, and no one will really know the difference except you. Actually I think I can find an original threaded metal fitting for you maybe.

A WW2 M24 wood stick is very similar, so if you can also find a fairly nice one, you can replace with that, and it will have the threads for cap hopefully. I think the top metal fittings that screws to the head on your WW1 grenade are slightly larger than an WW2 M24, but you could maybe make it work somehow.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    This is where I'm getting confused, in my old age.................
    It is as you say Steve, a 'Practice Grenade' and NOT a 'Smoke Grenade' !
    I've edited some posts to correct my errors.

I'm actually very fond of hand grenades !

Regards, Steve.

I'm going on 53...how old are you? Sorry for asking, but I want to know when I will be able to look forward to........being crotchety and argumentative.Ha! Kidding my friend.....that is also named Steve. There are many of us here. I wonder what the deal is with that.
    You made me type all that info, and knew this information already, and were just having a senior moment! .....jeeeez Others will be able to learn a bit also, so no problem. You did a good job editing your posts of all goofy your statements,
    ...but when I replied to you, I quoted you, so they are still there

Yes, I see you are fond of grenades. You have some very nice ones. I really like the 2 Mills bombs. They look like nice original un-messed with grenades. The no ridge short spoon on your Mk1 is interesting. Never seen one before. You said you were going to show more pics of this fuze handle? and the entire fuze would be nice to see if you get a chance.

Regards, Steve

Well, this thing isn't up my ally, if anybody would want to trade a nazi WW2 armband of some sort for it I would probably be interested, any takers?

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    I'm going on 53...how old are you? Sorry for asking, but I want to know when I will be able to look forward to........being crotchety and argumentative.Ha! Kidding my friend.....that is also named Steve. There are many of us here. I wonder what the deal is with that.
    You made me type all that info, and knew this information already, and were just having a senior moment! .....jeeeez Others will be able to learn a bit also, so no problem. You did a good job editing your posts of all goofy your statements,
    ...but when I replied to you, I quoted you, so they are still there

Yes, I see you are fond of grenades. You have some very nice ones. I really like the 2 Mills bombs. They look like nice original un-messed with grenades. The no ridge short spoon on your Mk1 is interesting. Never seen one before. You said you were going to show more pics of this fuze handle? and the entire fuze would be nice to see if you get a chance.

Regards, Steve
    Steve....................We are the same age..........................!
    (Me, Feb '58)

I've been told that this is a very early lever, but it was probably just overlooked,
    or somehow 'missed' the final ridge stamping. Someone has tried to remove
    the base plug and so this MKII is not completely 'un-messed with'.

I think one of the Mills has a brass automotive cotter pin and a 'keyring' on it,
    is what it looks like !

Sorry to jump all over your thread Cannonman ! !

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-   WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

Steve....................We are the same age..........................!
    (Me, Feb '58)

I've been told that this is a very early lever, but it was probably just overlooked,
    or somehow 'missed' the final ridge stamping. Someone has tried to remove
    the base plug and so this MKII is not completely 'un-messed with'.

I think one of the Mills has a brass automotive cotter pin and a 'keyring' on it,
    is what it looks like !

Sorry to jump all over your thread Cannonman ! !

Regards, Steve.
    Hi Steve...(Apr. '58, it was a good year!) Thanks for posting pics of your spoon finally.

Very nice example, very interesting spoon. I like it. Sure it could have maybe missed the stamping process, but also could have been the way this Mfg. made sppons. I will keep an eye out for another one in my searches. Your fuze has the orig early striker also.

Regards, Steve

Hi ..

The handle for the WW1 Practice Gren should look like this one,,

These are the practice grens along side their,,,, errr!!!,, use once version.

1915/16 Large Can Grenade,
    1916/17 Smaller can version as explosives advanced a smaller can was introduced.
    And the M24 practice Grenade. this one is a very early pre- war practice gren with the belt hook.

hope this helps... Nick,,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-   WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-   WW1 smoke grenade perhaps? Need help-  

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi Steve...(Apr. '58, it was a good year!) Thanks for posting pics of your spoon finally.

Very nice example, very interesting spoon. I like it. Sure it could have maybe missed the stamping process, but also could have been the way this Mfg. made sppons. I will keep an eye out for another one in my searches. Your fuze has the orig early striker also.

Regards, Steve

Happy belated birthday, Steve !
    (This was a popular name way back ! ! ! )

This is the only unstamped one like it I've seen too..........
    - It better have damn near everything early on it for what I paid !!!!
    These are rather expensive today, but nice to have.

I got a chance to buy a MKII (a MK II body - like your red one)
    and the correct ridged early lever, but it was missing the base plug.
    If it were complete, I might have picked it up for $265.
    That still seems like a lot to me.

Maybe I can talk him down a bit.............He might accept $250 !
    Not really a deal, IMO !

Regards, Steve.

Happy belated birthday, Steve !
    (This was a popular name way back ! ! ! )

This is the only unstamped one like it I've seen too..........
    - It better have damn near everything early on it for what I paid !!!!
    These are rather expensive today, but nice to have.

I got a chance to buy a MKII (a MK II body - like your red one)
    and the correct ridged early lever, but it was missing the base plug.
    If it were complete, I might have picked it up for $265.
    That still seems like a lot to me.

Maybe I can talk him down a bit.............He might accept $250 !
    Not really a deal, IMO !

Regards, Steve.

Thanks, Happy belated to you also. Absolutely correct, this was an extremely popular name in late 50's-early 60's. Also "Mike" - Michael.......which is my older brother's name.
    Yes, this an interesting example short spoon you have on your grenade. If you like it, the money does not matter.

I have a few real nice WW2 M10A3 fuzes, and could maybe get you one if you find a body.
    I was also maybe thinking of selling one of my Mk2 pineapples. A little less than the other you mention. $250 is not really expensive for a good one these days. I found my yellow pre war with scarce M10A1 for about that. You can PM me if you want.

Regards, Steve

Quote by jeeeensy View Post
    Hi ..

The handle for the WW1 Practice Gren should look like this one,,

These are the practice grens along side their,,,, errr!!!,, use once version.

1915/16 Large Can Grenade,
    1916/17 Smaller can version as explosives advanced a smaller can was introduced.
    And the M24 practice Grenade. this one is a very early pre- war practice gren with the belt hook.

hope this helps... Nick,,
    German hand- and riflegrenades

Hey Nick, not surprising to see you pop in on this one...... you must have been doing the rounds looking for more stick grenades

I noticed the stick on the top grenade you show, first picture. You say it is a 1915/16 grenade (the used once version) This looks like it is missing the threads and cap?? Correct? the pics do not enlarge. And the cap is installed on the last pic?

The grenade at top (and left, bottom pic) is the early 1916 model I think, it has a head like mine, but with a stick with screw cap.
    The one I showed in this thread, with the repro stick I made, is the second model 1915 Stielhandgranate Brennzünder, that had no metal cap at the end of handle, just a pull wire for the paper delay fuze.

Have you ever seen an 1915 early practice grenade, with the early handle like my grenade...... no cap ???
    I think it would be difficult to install a new fuze, each time with just a small hole going through the stick.

BTW I wasn't telling Cannonman- Steve, that his handle should look like my early handle, but just to show that a repro stick can be made and aged to look suitable for display if an original is not available.

Regards, Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3