Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 relic. what is it

Article about: Presumed to be part of a shell or bomb. Machined steel. Approx. 6x3" with the following code stamped above a suspension lug 1/2LBI PL'40 Any thoughts, The oral history of this object gi

Default ww2 relic. what is it

Presumed to be part of a shell or bomb. Machined steel. Approx. 6x3" with the following code stamped above a suspension lug
    1/2LBI
    PL'40
    Any thoughts, The oral history of this object given to me for my 60 th birthday with the comment you are the only person I know who would not take offence when I gave it to them. I was told it was found at a ww2 bomb site in Kings lynn England buy a man given the job of clearing a site after bomb damage. Yours tonyww2 relic. what is it

?

Default Re: ww2 relic. what is it

Going off the attachment hooks, it looks like a training bomb. Would have been filled with sand, and the tail would have a smoke flare to show you what you hit. Never seen one so small though.

Martin

Hi Tony,

Its either 8 1/2 lb or 11 1/2 lb practice bomb made in 1940. These had a tinplate tail that had a smoke or flash compound in that exploded on impact.

Hangarman

Is the oral history Ive been given correct, then is it a German ordanance and is it likely to have been dropped on a town.

Typhoon training rocket head? I am not an ordnance guy though, just thinking out loud based on the size.

Hi Tony,
    Sorry , its British, usually dropped on bombing ranges to allow aircrew to practice their bombing skills.

Hangarman

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Typhoon training rocket head? I am not an ordnance guy though, just thinking out loud based on the size.
    I can see where you are coming from but its a practice bomb probably 8 1/2 lb. The Typhoon heads you are thinking of are parallel sided and pointed at the front with a threaded rear.

Hangarman

Thanks for the input from you all I will not be putting the item in the local museum to go along side the details of the bombing which killed many people. Its interesting how oral history changes over the 3 generations.

?

Quote by tony123 View Post
    Is the oral history Ive been given correct, then is it a German ordanance and is it likely to have been dropped on a town.
    No, it's most certainly a British Training bomb, as the others have specified 8 1/2lb bomb.

ww2 relic. what is it

Hangarman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast