Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII German and unk ammo

Article about: Hello All, I just joined this forum and would like to already thank some of you, for postings that helped me ID some ammo I got from my dad-in-law. He served in the 612th Tank Destroyer Bn a

Question WWII German and unk ammo

Hello All,
    I just joined this forum and would like to already thank some of you, for postings that helped me ID some ammo I got from my dad-in-law. He served in the 612th Tank Destroyer Bn as the XO of Charlie Co., seeing action in Normandy, Brest, Northern France, Bulge and the Rhineland campaign. Came home without a scratch!
    You helped me ID an 8mm Lebel round I have. I also have about 10 rounds of what looks like 8mm Mauser (head stamps of DM & 43). I have a few odd rounds I can't tell what they are.

They look like a long 9mm Para, with headstamp markings of: IX, P, 38 and the Nazi crest. Another round is a rifle round approx the same length as the Mauser's, but it has a funny double shoulder on it and an un-jacketed lead bullet. Head stamp is: St*, eej,43 & 4. Thx again for the help. Ps: I can't figure out how to put the photos in this email! They are stored in my pictures file on my PC.

Default Re: WWII German and unk ammo

Hi csty6973 and welcome to the forum

We need to see pictures of your cartridges to properly ID them. However, I can already tell you that the 8mm mauser rounds you have aren't ! The reason I know this is the headstamp is for Des Moines (DM) made in 1943. They are probably standard American 30cal.

The other head stamps all indicate German origin. Have a look here to help you ID them.

A guide to headstamps

Also, go here to learn how to upload photos !

New picture posting feature - How to guide !

Cheers

Steve T

PS You have to 'Go advanced' when replying to this to enable you to attach photos to your reply.

WWII German and unk ammo

This is the "long 9mm" I referred to in my first post. As I said, it has a Nazi Eagle crest head stamp, along with the numbers "19" and "38" on opposite sides of the head. Any Ideas?

Semper Paratus

WWII German and unk ammoWWII German and unk ammo

This is the previously mentioned rifle round. The case lenght is about the same length as my incorrectly ID'd "8mm Mauser" (thx SteveT!), but it has the the odd double shoulder with what looks like a .25 cal bullet. The head stamp has: St+, eej, 43 and 4 on it. Should be German, but what type.

Semper Paratus

?

The pistol cartridge looks like a 9mm Austrian Steyr cartridge loaded by the Germans when they took over Austria in 1938,the case should be about 23mm long.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

A bit of 'copy paste' from my thread on cartridge ID.....

Ok…..all German 7.92 calibre cartridges carry four stamps. As you look at the picture, at 12 o’clock is the manufacturers code. At 3 o’clock is a code with a combination of a roman numeral (I to XXII) for the steel mill supplying the basic case-metal, a lower-case letter for the plating agency and an arabic numeral (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 or 17) for the steel-analysis, which all identifies a copper-plated steel case. In some cases you may see (as below) a code such as St or
    St+ or S*. St or St+ indicates a steel case, either plated or lacquered. * or S* indicates a brass case. At 6 o’clock is a batch number and at 9 o’clock is the year of manufacture represented by the last 2 digits of the year. Of interest is the fact that the Germans changed their manufacturer code system. Between 1937 and 1941 they used the P codes (Patronenfabrik Nummer). Between 1940 and 1945 (there was some overlap between the change of coding) they switched to a letter code and ditched the ‘P’ number.
    ************************************************** ****************************

This will help you ID the cartridges BUT.......the funny one you have is most odd. It is a standard 7.92 cart with an additional shoulder and a smaller calibre bullet. This indicates possible use in captured weapons of some description, but I am a loss to suggest what.

One of the weapons experts may be able to help.

Cheers

Steve T

Thanks zwerge, that sounds about right for the case length.

Steve T:
    With the "eej" code at 12 o'clock, there is the "St+" @ 3 o'clock, a "4" @ 6 o'clock and "43" @ 9. I found the "eej" is from Markisches Walzwerk. I'll drop the weapons guys a post.

WWII German and unk ammoWWII German and unk ammoWWII German and unk ammo

The right-hand round is a 7.92 Mauser (headstamp cg, St+), the left-had one has a wooden bullet but appears to be similar to the 7.92 round. If you can see the headstamp, there is "VIII w1(?)", 36, 39 and "P181". It feels somewhat light, like little or no powder, so I was wondering if this is a dummy or training round.

Hi csty

Yep.................you are right on both counts. Standard 7.92 cartridge and a dummy/training/blank round. The wooden tip simply disintegrated when the cart was fired. Nice example and not at all common

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast