Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1848 Brunswick sword bayonet

Article about: Hi guys one of my pickers called me up today and said he had a bayonet. I had never seen one of these before so I had to have it. Can anybody tell me what the 75 stands for . thanks for look

?

Default 1848 Brunswick sword bayonet

Hi guys one of my pickers called me up today and said he had a bayonet. I had never seen one of these before so I had to have it. Can anybody tell me what the 72 stands for . thanks for looking . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1848 Brunswick sword bayonet   1848 Brunswick sword bayonet  

1848 Brunswick sword bayonet   1848 Brunswick sword bayonet  

1848 Brunswick sword bayonet  

Well it's a Brunswick alright. The "72" is likely to be a Regiment mark. The Brunswick was used widely throughout the British Empire for 50 years and even used during the American civil war. So there are many possibilities. But it could indicate the 72nd Regiment of Foot, also known as the 72nd Highlanders. A tough regiment that fought at Crimea and various other colonial theatres. You would have to research whether they were issued the Brunswick.

?

Anderson thank you for the info I will look into that. Gary

?

Very Cool find Gary. I have seen them in books but never seen one in person. Its a awesome looking bayonet and I would have added it to my collection.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks Phil it's fun to hold . don't think of souls like to be on the other end

RH1941, I notice you are USA based.So I assume the Brunswick bayonet was located Stateside. That being the case, the useage during the American Civil war should be explored. These bayonets were used by both sides during the conflict. Britain tried not to appear to take sides, but had relations and sold munitions to the North and South. But at least when sold to the South they were from "commerical" production, not Enfield, or with VR royal cypher. So, was this supplied to the Union Army at some point? We have a possibility there; the 72nd Indiana Infantry Regiment of 1862-65. Did they use they Brunswick?

?

Anderson that is something I will have to look into . the picker I got it from told me the guy he got it from said his grandfather had taken it off a dead german officer during WWI. Some times you just have to laugh. Gary

Dead WW1 German? I think we can discard that theory! Maybe his great grandfather acquired it in the Civil war?

?

Who knows I just smile and nod when I hear stories like this .