Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

1868 1871 1874 French Chassepot bayonet

Article about: Is there any thing special about these 4 swords? What would make one better than the other?

Default Re: 1868 1871 1874 French Chassepot bayonet

The script on the spine of the blade is the armoury or factory that made the blade and the date of production but you will need to post pics of it to get any details on it.

?

haye guys long time since iv been on but iv just pucked up a 9 june 1871 chassepot bayonet my numbers from blade to scaberd dont match so i got it cheap blade number M51216 scaberd FH51827 there are a few different stamps on the hook a D with a crown on top a B and one that looks like a very small T iam not clued up on these stamps could this possible be a captured one i have no pics at min as camaras capot

cheers for any help steve

I've never seen a Chassepot bayonet with gold overlay/leaf, as described by Mountainman, but my guess is that some veteran of the Franco-Prussian War had his bayou "tarted up" after the war as a souvenir of his military service.

Pat

I've occasionally seen bayonets painted in black, gold or silver - possibly for
    school plays and Hallowe'en costumes - and sometimes it's done
    to prevent further rust accumulation.

Seen quite a few of these on 'Fleabay' every time I look,
    so might try a couple of bids.........!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 12-01-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: additions.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Brent,
    Nice bayonets you have a very lucky to get them as a gift, as said they are common but the only difference i find is condition. You can get really grubby ones and fine ones but easy to come by, the best deal i had with a Chasspot
    was when a guy really wanted the one i had he was that interested in it he swopped a Lee Enfield rifle for it, i couldnt believe it at the time and put it on the forum. so you never know how it will turn out with old bayo,s.
    Well done, Dave.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3