MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

1887 MkIII Bayonet for Martini Enfield

Article about: This is one of my 1887 MkIII bayonets made at Enfield and other Contractors between 1894 and 1900. You can notice the similarity to my 1893 Canadian bayonet with regards to the hilt. This hi

Default 1887 MkIII Bayonet for Martini Enfield

This is one of my 1887 MkIII bayonets made at Enfield and other Contractors between 1894 and 1900.
    You can notice the similarity to my 1893 Canadian bayonet with regards to the hilt.
    This hilt though is made of knurled leather with steel pins through the grips.
    The blade does not have a fuller along the blade and the scabbard has brass fittings to the throat and chape and is leather.
    This bayonet was fitted to the right hand side of the rifle see the photo of my Martini and you can see the bayonet lug right side of the muzzle.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield   1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield  

1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield   1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield  

1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield   1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield  

1887 MkIII  Bayonet for Martini Enfield  

Default Re: 1887 MkIII Bayonet for Martini Enfield

Very nice looking bayonet. Was the bayonet issued to the henry you have shown?

Hello Mate,
    No it was not. I will post some more of the others I have in the near future.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Jim

Hello-Martini Henry Mk IV rifle with long lever action-this was a type never issued in Australia (though the earlier Mks were widely used).

Hello Paratrooper,

Excellent outfit in your Martini Henry Mark IV and the Pattern 1887 Mark 111 Sword Bayonet.

Both items are highly desirable as collectibles. The Rifle is cool, being an “A Pattern” Rifle, a conversion from the Pattern 1886 “Trials Pattern .402 Enfield Rifle”. This has the original .420 Enfield Barrel bored out, rifled and re-chambered for the .450 M-H Round. The barrel will be .125” shorter than standard due to the removal of .125” from rear of the chamber to remove the extractor slots for the .402 cartridge. The receiver was newly manufactured as the .402 Rifle receiver was so radical in its design it could not be easily adapted. Also note that the nocks form at the rear of the barrel is much shorter and has a small addition soldered to the top. That is to cover where the flip up auxiliary rear sight was fitted on the .420 Rifle. A Very Nice Find indeed!

The bayonet is a Beauty, nice with the brass metal work. I am after one myself to go with a couple of my M-H Rifle Mark IV’s.

Cheers
    Herb

Hello Herb,
    Thanks very much for your comments and information.
    I will look further at my rifle as I did not realise exactly what it was all about.
    I will post further photos of my other Martinis and any further info would be appreciated.

regards

Jim

Martini Henry Rifle Mark IV, Patterns “A”, “B” and “C”.

The history of this mark of M-H rifle was a continuation of the evolution of the previous Enfield-Martini rifle, that was being developed as a replacement for the former M-H arm. The E-M was an improved Martini-type arm, in the .4-inch caliber and was produced in quantity during the 1887-88 work year. However, its development had been longer than anticipated and was rendered obsolescent by the advent and introduction of the .303-inch magazine Lee Metford rifle into British service. The decision not to adopt the E-M rifle meant that about 65,000 finished E-M rifles were rendered unsuitable for use by the infantry. The solution was to convert the finished rifles and what spare components were in store to the old .450 Martini Henry cartridge.

Martini Henry Rifle Mark IV, “A” Pattern. The basis for this conversion was the E-M Rifle, 1st Pattern. Due to some of the features peculiar the this pattern, required a major reconstruction, as the only original parts usable were the butt and associated fittings, the breech block and trigger guard unit,; and the barrel. All other parts were replaced by new parts of the E-M second pattern or M-H type parts.

The conversion required consisted of:-
    Barrel - Rebored and rifled to .450 inch Henry pattern which involved cutting 0.125” of the breech end of the Barrel to remove the original extractor slots; the thread was then extended to the original length, and the barrel rechambered to the new form. The short range back sight was removed and replaced by a plate brazed on top of the nocksform. The rear sight was replaced by a unit of M-H Rifle Mark 111 pattern.

Action – Body replaced by one of the second pattern. Action parts replaced by those of the Second pattern where necessary.

Furniture – Lever catch block repositioned in the butt to accept the long lever; and the original catch position plugged with a wood plug. Forend and bands replaced by those of the second pattern. Second pattern cleaning rod fitted also.

Enfield production show the production years and numbers of E-M Rifle 1 First pattern made each year as-
    1887 – 21’725 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rod.
    1888 – 7 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rod.
    Thus giving a total of 21,732 produced. The conversion figures then show –
    1888 – 21,185 Arms, assembled with cleaning rod. Mark IV, altered from Enfield-Martini First pattern; and 570 Arms, assembled with cleaning rod, Mark IV, altered from Enfield-Martini First pattern giving a total of 21,755.

Martini Henry Rifle Mark IV, “B” Pattern. This rifle was converted from the E-M Rifle Second pattern which was similar in appearance to the M-H Rifle Mark 111. Some parts of the second pattern, such as the butt and its furniture, and breech block and some action parts were the same as the first pattern’s, whilst others were interchangeable with those of the Mark 111 rifle, so the conversion was rather simple when compared to that of the first pattern. The programme in this instance consisted of :–

Barrel – Rebored and rifled to .450 inch Henry pattern which involved cutting 0.125” of the breech end of the barrel to remove the original extractor slots; the thread was then extended to the original length, and the barrel rechambered to the new form. The rear sight was replaced by a unit of M-H Rifle Mark 111 pattern.

As the A and B patterns were of the same overall length, and used the same parts, the easiest way to tell them apart is by comparing both foresights, A pattern has the post foresight whereas the B pattern has a ramped foresight base.

The production figures for manufacture are –
    1887 – 21,487 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rod, 2nd Pattern.
    1888 – 21,415 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rod, 2nd Pattern; thus giving a total of 42,902 arms made, and
    1888 – 3,040 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rod, Mark IV altered from Enfield-Martini, latest pattern; and
    1889 – 39,862 Arms assembled, with cleaning rods Mark IV altered from Enfield-Martini, latest pattern, giving a total for 42,902 conversions.

The dimensions of Mark IV, A and B were –
    Overall Length: Long Butt 4’ 1.375” or (1,254 mm)
    Overall Length: Short Butts 4’ 0.875” or (1,241 mm)

Barrel length 2’ 9.062” or (840 mm)

Overall weight
    Long Butt - 9 lb 2 oz (4.1 kg)
    Short Butt - 9 lb 0 oz (4.0 kg)

Martini Henry Rifle Mark IV, “C” Pattern. Made entirely from new parts, this pattern resembled the B Pattern in all respects, an could only be distinguished from it by the lengths of the barrel and nocksform, ( which in the new rifle were of the same length as the Mark 111 rifle), and the action markings. Comparing the nocksform of the two rifles, the B pattern will be seen to be the shorter.

The production figures for manufacture are –
    1888 – 16,203 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rods, Mark IV.
    1889 – 19,141 Arms, assembled, with cleaning rods, Mark IV
    Giving a total of 35,344 made.

The dimensions of Mark IV, C Pattern were –
    Overall Length:
    Long Butt 4’ 1.5” or (1,257 mm)
    Short Butts 4’ 1.0” or (1,244 mm)
    Barrel length 2’ 9.187” or (842 mm)

Overall weight:
    Long Butt 9 lb 2 oz (4.1 kg)
    Short Butt 9 lb 0 oz (4.0 kg)

Credits to Skennerton and Temple for their publication of the three volumes of "A Treatise on the British Military Martini".

Phew, my brain hurts!

Cheers
    Herb.
    Last edited by MartiniFan; 10-26-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Another thing about your rifle Jim, seeing as your rifle is the "A" Pattern then you need another bayonet. The "A" pattern has the post front sight base so in fact the Pattern 1876 bayonet will also fit. But wait, there's more, how about a Pattern 1853 bushed to fit the Martini Henry Rifle as well.

So If you need an excuse for another bayonet or two, here it is!

Cheers
    Herb

Herb what can I say? You missed a full stop out and a comma!!!!!
    Fantstic info mate much appreciated. I do have a few 53 Pattern bayonets and 76 pattern, I will check them out.
    Will post photos .
    I will post some photos of my other Martinis.
    Just bought another long Lee today.

Regards

jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback.

If you really want to mix them bayonets up then your nice Pattern 1893 Canadian will also slide on the Martini Henry Mark IV.

More Martinis!!!!, Hmmmm, Look forward to seeing some.

I'm feeling my way on this Forum. Lots of GREAT Threads going on and I look forward to posting some pictures Soon! First, I have to learn how to upload from Photobucket.

I have a few Martinis, couple of Lees and the odd Mauser in the cupboard. Includes five special ones used in the Boer War 1899-1902 that have been carved and I have identified the soldiers on all bar two.

Cheers
    Herb