Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

19 century Faschinenmesser Pioneer sword , Fireman's or Forestry

Article about: About 52 cm long (55 in scabbard) ; blade functional on both side , sawback and sharp on other side ; specific blade tip ; decorated crossguard with acorn tipped ; In my opinion , the German

Default 19 century Faschinenmesser Pioneer sword , Fireman's or Forestry

About 52 cm long (55 in scabbard) ; blade functional on both side , sawback and sharp on other side ; specific blade tip ; decorated crossguard with acorn tipped ; In my opinion , the German production , from the second half of the 19th century.

Fireman or Forestry Faschinenmesser ???

Thx, Regards

?

Teoretically it could be inspired by PS1853/62 austrian pioneer sabre.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Teoretically it could be inspired by PS1853/62 austrian pioneer sabre.
    French artillery pioneer sword M1831 is the source for all later similar small (pioneer) swords.

?

Hello
    not french
    I think Andy is right, probably Austrian or German Faschinenmesser ?
    cordially
    Didier

Quote by bichon View Post
    Hello
    not french
    I think Andy is right, probably Austrian or German Faschinenmesser ?
    cordially
    Didier
    I did not mean that this is French, in my thread , I clearly stated that it is in my opinion a German production.
    French M1831 cited as a source model for all subsequent similar pioneer swords.
    In short, I wanted to tell that the PS1853/62 austrian pioneer saber, mentioned by Andy, also modeled on the French M1831.
    regards

If I'm not mistaken the French Mle 1831 short sword did not have saw teeth on either side, and had a solid brass grip like the one pictured below. Said short sword more or less exactly copied by the Russians as their pattern 1848 r (goda) infantry troopers short sword - but not before they manufactured the pattern 1834 r (goda) French 1831 style hilt for their pioneer's short sword that did have saw teeth on the backside with a slightly curved tip at the pointed end of the blade. With the possibility of Austria not a bad idea IMO with sawbacks there being made at least from the 1760's, although by 1862 the teeth seem to have been omitted? With the preceding Faschinenmesser of 1857(?) uncertain as to the saw teeth, but having a somewhat similar shaped grip. And with all that said, this one is new to me with my best guess at the moment perhaps being something like a higher grade (more decorative) private purchase sword? PS: Has the blade been shortened? Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 19 century Faschinenmesser Pioneer sword , Fireman's or Forestry  

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    And with all that said, this one is new to me with my best guess at the moment perhaps being something like a higher grade (more decorative) private purchase sword? PS: Has the blade been shortened? Best Regards, Fred
    The blade is not shortened,that's original shape.
    Regards

?

The blade is too short for the scabbard, most probably shortened blade, the design of handle is near of PS1853/62 which is certiainly different to french FM1831.