Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1917 US Kuckle knife replica

Article about: Hi all , This is being discussed on a Facebook group and the owner is 100% sure it's genuine ( handed down from WW1 ), I have my doubts , To me and quite a few others it's been deemed a repl

Default 1917 US Kuckle knife replica

Hi all ,

This is being discussed on a Facebook group and the owner is 100% sure it's genuine ( handed down from WW1 ), I have my doubts ,

To me and quite a few others it's been deemed a replica , it's just too fresh .

Would like to hear further opinions ,

Cheers .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917 US Kuckle knife replica   1917 US Kuckle knife replica  

Greetings Australia,

It is not a replica, it is an original knife, which has simply been refinished and a new (read: not original) handle placed on it. The M-1917s are easily taken apart for this type of work, whereas the M-1918s are not (because they are peened). Please, look at this comparison photo (below) showing an original handled A.C.CO. M-1917 (top) and the knife in question (bottom). Note the large gap between the two handles shown. The lower knife possesses a large gap in the area indicated and that is a major red flag that this knife did not leave the A.C.CO. Chicago’s factory looking like this. There are notable differences in the finish between the two knives, but the handle is the real tell.

Double click image to enlarge.

These knives have not been worth as much as their M1918 Mk.I cousins, but now their price is starting to reach a point where one can buy a beater/parts knife and get replica skull crusher/end caps and wooden handles (on eBay) in order to create a decent fake. That is exactly what this knife is. Sure, it may very well have been a WWI hand-me-down, but it has been refinished and the handle replaced. Another fun thing to notice is these refinished knives are usually found/offered scabbard-less, as an original scabbard cuts into the faker’s profits.

Below is my reference thread on these, just in case you get guff from the owner who obviously is an (wink) expert. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-a...d-ones-577741/

Regards,

Lance

I believe the above to be correct, although I'm no expert
    on these particular daggers. ( I also saw the post on
    Wastebook - quite an assortment there......... )
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks gents , your certainly right about waste book , I mainly look for a laugh.