Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1943 Imperial M3 and Viner bros M6

Article about:

?

Default 1943 Imperial M3 and Viner bros M6

?

Default Re: 1943 Imperial M3 and Viner bros M6

Just got this knife, got it for a great deal too! Named to a "butch" and MC (I wonder what that means) Marine Corps maybe? Who knows... compared to my Utica it looks a little shorter.

Nice early M3 knife and scabbard combo. I believe the 'MC' is Marine Corps
    as well, but it could also be the owners initials. Blade dated M3's were in
    production for the first few months of 1943 only.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

wow! I just found out from the seller that this knife belonged to a Captain Ernest Turner. A quick Google search lead me to this website which says...
    During the Battle of the Bulge on Dec. 27, 1944, his C-47 ('Ain't Missbehavin') was shot down on a resupply mission for the 101st Airborne Division in Bastogne, where he successfully delivered a glider with four doctors on board before crash landing. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for his actions on that day. He met General McAuliffe, Commanding General ('Nuts') of the 101st Airborne Division. During his service he also received the Air Medal and other various recognitions. He obtained the rank of major during his service and was a flight commander.
    Ernest Turner - phillyburbs.com: The Intelligencer

?

The seller said she was selling it for a friend who was the captain's grandchild. That person said that the original owner of the knife was capt. Turner's friend. What's really unfathomable to me is that Mr. Turner unfortunately passed away on july 2, 2013 and theyre selling his military bringbacks... I guess there was just no interest...