Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2 questions about my new/old folding carcano bayonet

Article about: I'm thrilled to finally own one of these bayonets! I unfortunately paid top dollar because I could never find a bargain. Seem to always be in demand. My first question is if the frog is orig

Perhaps the scabbard is an earlier one.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

I read the belt loop type was the earlier one. So the scabbard is that of the fixed blade type?

The metal belt loop scabbard is the early model and the frog/button the later, but for what I know there is not a definite rule: some fixed blade have the belt loop scabbard and some folding are found in the frog/button one.

?

Going by my Keisling,Janzen's and Carter books the only bayonets that have a belt loop scabbard are the folding type for the M-38 SR and one for the MAB. But I have those books more than 30 years and they may be wrong. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Going by my Keisling,Janzen's and Carter books the only bayonets that have a belt loop scabbard are the folding type for the M-38 SR and one for the MAB. But I have those books more than 30 years and they may be wrong. Rich A. in Pa.
    Rich, I meant that, since it is unknown when exactly the fixed (modified) blade production started, nor the frog/button scabbard production, it is possible that some "late" folding bayos had the "new" scabbard. More or less, this is the same case of the various, possible combination between the US M3 fighting knife and M8/M8A1 scabbards.
    For sure, if you have a 1st type 91/38 bayo (lever button) you do need a metal, belt loop scabbard, but (personally), missing an exact "switch" deadline, I would consider legit the combination fixed blade/frog scabbard: not canonical, but possible.
    Please, excuse me you all, my English is quite basic and sometimes I'm not able to explain correctly my thoughts.

?

Yes. But you are paying top dollar for a non reference book example. Paying is the trouble. Please recall if it does not look like what is in the reference book it may not correct. Correct textbook examples of anything are more valueable/costly and can be resold with less trouble/devaluation.That is why we buy books. I have a arm shield that is not in my GIL SCUDETTI DA BRACCO ITALIANA 1930-1946. A bullion type is shown but I have the bakelite type. I know that books can be wrong. Like I posted,I have 5 of them. I paid in the $30 to $70 range for mine. Rich A. in Pa.

If you paid $30 to $70 for each of your carcano bayos I would love the number of your dealer.. Secondly, I will need a dislike button for your post based on sheer jealously.

I'm mostly with you, textbook examples are better, but unfortunately not always the books are Bibles, as, just for example, the Law's Backbone of the Wehrmacht, filled with errors and even fakes... Exceptions, production shortcuts, differences between different makers, etc. were common, leading to many gray areas, especially when the official documentation isn't available.
    To stay in the 91/38 bayonets area, between most Italian collectors it's now almost certain that the MAB 38 bayonets weren't issued with scabbards, since there's not a sigle war/prewar era picture depicting a soldier bearing it at the belt: it is arguable that these bayonets were simply kept affixed to the smg, blade folded.
    I do believe in books, but I think that the best, ultimate resource for collectors are the forums and the advanced collectors' suggestions, based on years of experience and observation of many specimens.
    Last edited by ziomanno; 02-24-2016 at 11:27 PM.

?

Dealer? No way. I buy my stuff at the flea market. I am not paying what they ask for stuff I can get at the flea market. I know I see a some internet dealers at the flea market or the pickers whom resells to them. Look at my posts under finds. I will gladly post what I pay for stuff if asked. Check out my unground SA dagger post. I posted the cost when asked and told where I got it. Here is not a good pic of my M-38folding bayonets. Everything in the pic was cheap. I wish I had one for my MAB. I look all the time. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 questions about my new/old folding carcano bayonet  

30 to 70 usd for a folding 91/38 has been, is and will be a real steal everywhere around the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2