Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian Sturmesser M18

Article about: Hi everyone, I've just received a gift from a relative (knowing my passion for this kind of items.. ) and now i would like to check a bit the piece. I know that it's a Sturmesser M18, i pres

Default Austrian Sturmesser M18

Hi everyone,

I've just received a gift from a relative (knowing my passion for this kind of items.. ) and now i would like to check a bit the piece. I know that it's a Sturmesser M18, i presume that the producer should be Resicka. The scabbard is clearly repainted in black but the Vogel & Noot logo is still visible. Everything looks and feels right (even if i'm not into blade collecting). Can you give me some more confirmations (or infirmations) about it?

Many thanks in advance, whising you the best for this new year!

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian Sturmesser M18   Austrian Sturmesser M18  

Austrian Sturmesser M18   Austrian Sturmesser M18  

Greetings Mike,

Go here https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...-knife-370751/ and read post #3 and you will see some pertinent info. Looks like a very nice knife, thanks for posting.

V/r Lance

Hello Lance, and thanks for the reply. I wanted to post it there....but to be honest, i didn't want to invade that nice thread with a possible copy (as i noticed that the Austrian trench knife thread isn't used for this kind of requests). If it's good, i'll be more than happy to make my contribution there. Anyway, i've used that thread to identify the producer (Simon Redtenbacher Sensenwerke) and the scabbard Vogel & Noot, i've spotted the type of scabbard and its ''back attach'', all clear...just wanted a confirmation from experienced ''minds'' from the sector I've just started to collect trench daggers/knifes (i have only another piece, an Arditi dagger) so this one being a present...is almost too good to be true...so would be great to hear good about it. Thanks.

Greetings Mike,

This time, I believe you do have a winner. Within just the past few weeks US eBay has been getting a steady trickle of M1917s' reproductions emanating from Poland. Below is a current "tarted" up offering. Look how weird the blade's logo appears & that same tale tell scabbard your last posted/questionable M1917 had. That said, this knife will probably fool someone into buying it.

Regards,

Lance
    Austrian Sturmesser M18Austrian Sturmesser M18

yes, i've searched many references about it, and i can clearly separate the one i now own, from the one i've posted weeks ago. It dosent look treated, the blade is far away from being like the one from the Poland version. From the beginning i had a good feeling about it (also considering the wooden part of the handle, and overall a very natural aging), but i also tent to be a bit paranoid Many thanks, glad to hear that i've received a ''right gift'' (it's a pity when someone gave you something as a gift, and you can't be 100% happy about it....)
    All the best!

?

Looks like a StM17 from Simon Redtenbacher.b.r.Andy

Yes Andy, it's a Sturmesser M17 (my bad reporting it as M18, probably at the moment i was thinking at something else... from Simon Redtenbacher Sensenwerke and the scabbard from the Hungarian Vogel & Noot. Cheers!

?

Vogel und Noot is not a hungarian producer, is a austrian maker.b.r.Andy

Hello Andy, about the Hungariang producer for the Vogel&Noot, i was refeering to the post #3 of this thread :https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...-knife-370751/ where it is stated ''“V & N” markings found on some Scabbards are for the Hungarian firm of Vogel & Noot.''. I'm not an expert, i've just used a learned information..

The black paint on the scabbard could indicate a post Italian WWI use, by the "Blackshirts" militia personnel, which carried these blades well into the 30's, before the official adoption of the M35 "march knife" first, and the M39 "assault knife" after.