Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Authenticity of german 1WW EB1 ersatz bayo

Article about: Hello everybody! Know this is probably the most famous German 1WW era ersatz bayo / trench knife (EB1) - so it´s also the most faked example as well.. Could you say something about this exam

?

Default Authenticity of german 1WW EB1 ersatz bayo

Hello everybody!

Know this is probably the most famous German 1WW era ersatz bayo / trench knife (EB1) - so it´s also the most faked example as well..

Could you say something about this example - my own knowledge on those "crank-handles" is clear zero
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticity of german 1WW EB1 ersatz bayo   Authenticity of german 1WW EB1 ersatz bayo  

Hello Bruno, I personally haven't much experience on these Demag's, but there have been quite a few threads about them here on the forum, so if you do a search on them, it could prove to be useful! These are Hugely faked and aged today, so I would definitely recommend reading through all the threads with a fine tooth comb and picking up some pointers to check on it!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Greetings Bruno,

There are several ways to tell if it’s an original, but the fastest and easiest way is to look on the spine of the blade (on the side towards the slightly curved quillion/crosspiece) and see if there is an acceptance mark stamped there. The fakes I have seen do not have the stamp there. If there’s no stamp, then it’s a reproduction. As already stated there are plenty of threads discussing this type of weapon. If you go here
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayon...-knife-278640/ and review post#4 the very last/bottom picture in that post shows an example of the aforementioned acceptance mark. Again, this is something that can always be added by the unscrupulous seller, but as a way of quickly determining a bayonet’s authenticity there’s no better way.

Regards,

Lance

?

One more picture (of the same bayo) with the acceptance mark on the spine of the blade..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticity of german 1WW EB1 ersatz bayo  

Greetings Bruno,

I like the letter “D” “fraktur” (acceptance mark) you have shown on the bayo’s spine. I think your bayonet is an original.

Regards,

Lance