Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?

Article about: Hello, I have a bayonet from a K98 Mod. 1908 Brazil. When and why were they used in South America? The mark is German. So that was made in Germany. Why was this sold to South America and wha

Default Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?

Hello, I have a bayonet from a K98 Mod. 1908 Brazil.
    When and why were they used in South America?
    The mark is German. So that was made in Germany.
    Why was this sold to South America and what conflicts were committed with it?

Thank you

?

Hello Dickdan,
    I love bayonets and I like photo's of bayonets . Could we see yours?

The answer to your question is $$$$$$, Money it makes the world go round. Mauser had MANY contracts world wide. They made a great rifle. Look at the US 1903 action(MAUSER) and many other's.

As far as conflicts it was used in? I would suggest using your Bing Fu. Seek and you shall find!

Wiki is your friend!

Mauser - Wikipedia

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil,
    here are 2 pictures.
    I think they were used in various conflicts and colonial struggles. But it could have been that the Germans produced specifically for a war in South America.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?   Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?  

?

They sure did. To this day, War is money to arms manufactures.
    And if you take a look at uniforms also, Many countries including the US were looking for another alternative to those.
    After their win in the Franco/Prussian war. They were the thing to emulate.
    Look at the M1872/M1881 US helmets. Pickelhaube's!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

At the time (early 1900's) the German gun and blademakers had significant export business to South America, supplying weapons to also Argentina, Peru, Chile, Columbia as well as Brazil. This bayonet was made between 1908 and 1914 by about three different makers Alex.Coppel, Simson & Co and W.K & C). This looks like it's one of the early ones. The scabbard is interesting in the use of brass for the chape & collar, when steel was being used on German military contracts at the same time.

That's from Simson :-) Thanks guys!

?

For example:
    YouTube

?

Brazil M1908 contract, the scabbard is early normally it should be matching with rifle. b.r.Andy

Hi,
    I have now taken a closer look at my bayonets. The short is from "Simson" and was used in Brazil. The case is not suitable (other number) but with brass.

The other is one (1908/34?) Why is that longer? That was also used on the Mauser rifle, right?
    This bayonet has no markers, no manufacturer. Can mna see something on the case? (F 1) or (F I)

I still have a bayonet 89/05. This was used during World War I.
    Is the "89/05" an old model and the "1908" the successor? Both types of the same rifle (K89)?

Thanks for your help, I'm always learning :-)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?   Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?  

Bajonett Mod. 1908 Brazil --- why?  

?

The M1908 have the origin scabbard, but the serials are here different, so the bayonet is not paired with matching scabbard.
    The longer M1908/34 bayonet was produced in Czechoslovakia by Zbrojovka Brno for short rifle, the scabbard is already a brazil replacement, marked FI for Fabrica Itajuba,sometimes is visible small Z in circle near the serial number here woried off or on hook of czechoslovak origin scabbard.
    The M1908 was not accepted into German army, as it was a export modell, other point is that could be not attached on Kar98 as it have a short slot in pommel. It was destined for a gun contract with Brazil and possible other countries too.
    S98/05 is a german design used pre and through the WW1 and one of the bayonet that continued service into Weimar period also post 1919.
    b.r.Andy
    Last edited by AndyB; 09-18-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast