Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback

Article about: I just picked this up at an estate auction and was wondering if anyone can help identify it. The maker is Alex Coppel Solingen and it is marked on the ricasso with the crown L Bavarian accep

pjm
    ?

Default Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback

I just picked this up at an estate auction and was wondering if anyone can help identify it.

The maker is Alex Coppel Solingen and it is marked on the ricasso with the crown L Bavarian acceptance stamp and dated 93. There is no unit mark but the crossguard is marked "33" and, on one side, the wooden grip plate is embossed "47". There is also a "1.38" on the pommel butt.

However, the modification of the muzzle attachment is puzzling. It appears to be configured to fit on a rail. Could this be for an experimental model, export, Ersatz? I am familiar with a M93 Mauser rifle that had a mechanical muzzle cover that also had an alternative bayonet lug but I don't think this bayonet would fit.

Here are photos:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback   Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback  

Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback   Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback  

This is a very rare trial bayonet or/and a litle trial conversion series for the colonies (Schutztruppe) made out of an S71/84. One know example exist with a Unit mark of a Feldkompanie of the Schutztruppe. This is the third i ever see.

I own the version without sawback. The Regimentalmarks on this bayonet were delited or are not valid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback   Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback  

Bavarian marked 71/84 with Sawback  

?

So sleepwalker, what rifle was this going to be used on and what is the reason for the mortise slot on the hilt?

Semper Fi
    Phil

pjm
    ?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    This is a very rare trial bayonet or/and a litle trial conversion series for the colonies (Schutztruppe) made out of an S71/84. One know example exist with a Unit mark of a Feldkompanie of the Schutztruppe. This is the third i ever see.

I own the version without sawback. The Regimentalmarks on this bayonet were delited or are not valid.
    Thanks for the quick reply and identification! Based on the unusual shaped slot I thought it must be something strange. Like AZPhil I'm curious what rifle this is supposed to fit.

Like i say... a trial in very little quantities