Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet Help!

Article about: I recently acquired a bayonet that had belonged to my grandfather. Any help in identifying the age and origin of it would be greatly appreciated!

jsmile992000
    ?

Default Bayonet Help!

I recently acquired a bayonet that had belonged to my grandfather. Any help in identifying the age and origin of it would be greatly appreciated!

Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!Bayonet Help!

Hi Jsmile...I moved your thread to the correct forum..in which you should get a quick reply. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

jsmile992000
    ?

thank you.

It looks to be a Japanese Type 30 Arisaka bayonet, from the Kokura Arsenal. The hooked Quillion looks to be a little bent to me, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't curve in quite to close to the blade. From what I can tell these are reasonably uncommon and desirable although yours isn't in the best shape and it missing its scabbard, which is a shame.

I'm sure someone more wised up than myself will either correct me or add to what I've said!

Hope this is some use
    Tom

?

I agree,these were produced from 1898-1945.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Agree with the above, would just add it is missing the catch and catch release.
    Regards,
    John

Quote by Moshemotom View Post
    It looks to be a Japanese Type 30 Arisaka bayonet, from the Kokura Arsenal. The hooked Quillion looks to be a little bent to me, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't curve in quite to close to the blade. From what I can tell these are reasonably uncommon and desirable although yours isn't in the best shape and it missing its scabbard, which is a shame.

I'm sure someone more wised up than myself will either correct me or add to what I've said!

Hope this is some use
    Tom
    Well done, Tom.

This in indeed a T30 bayonet made in the Kokura Arsenal. Also, you're right about the hooked quillion... looks like it's bent too close to the blade.

You're right about the missing scabbard. Unfortunately, it's also missing the spring loaded button/ catch that would attach it securely to the bayonet lug of the rifle.

In England these may be rare, but they're pretty darn common here in the US. Early war variants like this can commonly be purchased for ~$100. Late war, "last ditch" examples with straight quillions, squared off grips and bamboo scabbards go for double to triple that.

I can't add anything about the bayonet itself that has not already been said so i'll just say that you are very lucky to have had this from your grandfather and I'm sure that you will treasure it. Its always nice to have war relics passed down to you