Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bayonet help please

Article about: by cornish1 Hi Richie,thanks for the info!,ive had a look on the blade by the hilt and there is definately a 5 there and what looks like a 1 but also looks a bit like a w?,unless its a scrat

Default Re: Bayonet help please

Quote by cornish1 View Post
    Hi Richie,thanks for the info!,ive had a look on the blade by the hilt and there is definately a 5 there and what looks like a 1 but also looks a bit like a w?,unless its a scratch or just my eyesight!.
    I can understand them not wanting to be caught by the allies with one of these!. The blade is 15 inches long too!. I would like to try cleaning it up possibly,could anybody reccomend anything or should i just leave it as is?
    Mark

W = Wilhelm - the Kaiser
    15 = 1915 - the date of acceptance into service.

Something like this (but without the Crown/RC) ?

Cleaning - remove any loose muck with oil and a cloth. I would keep it oiled to prevent any further corrosion developing but apart from that I would be inclined to leave it as a very interesting relic.

Regards

Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet help please  

Sawback bayonets were issued to German Engineer troops...

Richie,yes thats it,but now looking at yours i see mine does have a crown above the W and beneath the 15 there is a C,i cant see an R but there is a definate C??. This is very intruiging for me!. I`ll take your advice on the oily cloth,the only problem with the sheath is that because of the bullets that have hit,its a bit of a push and pull to get the blade in or out unfortunately,nothing i can do about it tho.Thats just part of its history i have to accept. Many many thanks for yor help ,this is my 1st bayonet so im a tad excited!
    Mark

Very nice German 98/05 with great battle damage...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I know I'm a newbie & many of you already know this, but i read that if a German soldier was captured with one, that still had the saw part, they were executed, I guess the main reason they ground them down, that is a nice battle scarred piece, wouldn't it be nice if it could talk.I used to have a field gun ammo bag that had a bit of battle damage, well my neighbor's little boy loved that bag so much I gave it to him.

Quote by cornish1 View Post
    Richie,yes thats it,but now looking at yours i see mine does have a crown above the W and beneath the 15 there is a C,i cant see an R but there is a definate C??. This is very intruiging for me!. I`ll take your advice on the oily cloth,the only problem with the sheath is that because of the bullets that have hit,its a bit of a push and pull to get the blade in or out unfortunately,nothing i can do about it tho.Thats just part of its history i have to accept. Many many thanks for yor help ,this is my 1st bayonet so im a tad excited!
    Mark
    Mark

The marking nearest the hilt on the blade back is an inspection stamp. There is always a crown followed by a different letter - in your example the letter C.

These stamps were also found on the pommel and the scabbard.

Regards

Richie

Thanks for all your help and comments guys,very much appreciated as i knew absolutely nothing about it!.I`m glad you like it . I only have a small collection of things but this is definately my favourite out of them. I find the battle damage very thought provoking,and the sawback brings it all home!. So out of curiosity is this "relic" iilegal in the uk?,i`ve heard some say possibly but nobody sems to know for sure. I mean its not like i`m going to out brandishing it or anything.Like i said just curious really. Anyway thanks again for all your help guys...

Mark.

Mark

Perfectly legal to own - no bayonet charges down the High Street though

Richie

That is too "f##kin Cool". "tink tink tink." Why does my leg feel warm? Why is the world spinning? Whats that bright light?

Thanks Richie,i didnt think it was illegal but thought i`d ask, you never know these days,they change the rules like the weather!.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast