Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet ID help?

Article about: I went to an estate sale over the weekend that had a vast collection of the former owners WWII memorbilia from his time in the US Strategic Air force and his brothers time in the Air Corps.

Default Bayonet ID help?

I went to an estate sale over the weekend that had a vast collection of the former owners WWII memorbilia from his time in the US Strategic Air force and his brothers time in the Air Corps. Needless to say, i grabbed quite a bit of it. I posted pics on the Attic and Old barn find forum.

Went back on the last day to see if there was anything i missed, and found this bayonet. Not sure what it is, or where its from. Its covered with a pretty good coat of what i think is black paint. So, the question is, anyone know what it is? And, should i strip the paint off and how?

Default Re: Bayonet ID help?

Hi Jaybone,
    It's a British P1856 Artillery bayonet.
    Nice find!

Regards

thanks for the info. I wish i knew the history of why this guy might have had it!

?

It may be that a vet picked it up overseas. A lot of mid-19th century foreign militaria was imported into the US and other allied nations after WWII. It is still being imported today. In the American Civil War arena, foreign weapons bring less cash without ironclad provenance they were used in the war because it is impossible to tell when they made their way into the US. These Yatagan bayonets were popular in the 1850's all the way up to the 1880's. The French borrowed the concept from the Ottoman Turks. Many US Civil War variants of this type were used. Nice find. Too bad about the paint.

?

It's British 1856/58 for short Enfield or a volunteer's one Can you see any marks on the blade ? If you don't mind to share some physical parameters and couple of more photos(especially the fro the back ) we probably can ID it for sure