Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bayonet Identification

Article about: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayone...t-help-161816/

Question Bayonet Identification

Hey everyone! I have been scouring the internet about information regarding this bayonet and I cannot find anything. I am 99% it is German by it's design, but beyond that, I have no idea. I am trying to gauge it's worth as i am trying to sell it and finance a move! Thanks for your help in advance!

Bayonet IdentificationBayonet Identification

UPDATE: So, after a little more searching, I discovered that it is a Type B FN FAL bayonet. I believe that mine in particular was for the T48 FAL. Now I just need to find it's worth!
    Last edited by maciasd3; 04-08-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Info update

?

Default Re: Bayonet Identification

Welcome to the forum.
    Your bayonet is for the FAL.

?

Nice one Scout I guess it's not worth a whole lot then

Scout, yeah, I found out that it was for the T48 variant of the FAL commissioned by the US to test against the T44. To my knowledge there were only a handful of them made so I think it might actually be worth something. Any more information you have would be awesome! Thanks for your help!

?

Quote by maciasd3 View Post
    Scout, yeah, I found out that it was for the T48 variant of the FAL commissioned by the US to test against the T44. To my knowledge there were only a handful of them made so I think it might actually be worth something. Any more information you have would be awesome! Thanks for your help!
    Yes, but a minute after me according to the time code - I win!
    Just kidding. Its not a competition.
    Here a bit more info on the Type A and the Type B variations as requested:
    Type A
    FN's initial bayonet design was a knife bayonet. What we know today as the FAL Type A bayonet, was an innovative design that confronted the adverse effects that a bayonet has on the accuracy of a self-loading rifle with new technology. It's designers introduced the "free-recoil" concept, where a spring hidden in the pommel allowed the bayonet to float during rapid semi-auto and full-automatic fire. This ingenious approach was later adopted by the Dutch firm, Artillerie Inrichtingen, when designing a bayonet for another groundbreaking assault rifle, the Armalite AR-10.
    The most distinctive feature of the Type A bayonet are the flash-hider "prongs" integral with the muzzle-ring. These served as an ersatz flash-hider on early FALs that had no muzzle device. The blade profile is a modification of the U.S. M4 design. The grip scales can be wood, plastic, or sheet steel. The steel scabbard is follows the standard FN scabbard design developed in the 1920s. A couple of frog stud variations are found.
    A Type B bayonet was made for use with a slender flash-hider. Type B bayonets were not produced in large numbers, making them very scarce today.
    The Type A was the standard FAL bayonet used by all, except for Britain and the Commonwealth Nations, until NATO standardized on the 22 mm. rifle grenade in the early 1960s. This necessitated a new bayonet design, due to the much larger diameter flash-hider required to accept and launch the 22 mm. rifle grenade. Despite it's obsolescence, the Type A remained in limited use for many years, seeing combat service with Argentine forces during the Falklands War of 1982

FAL Bayonets

You do win sir, and I tip my hat to your internet prowling status :-). I found that same page about a minute ago too, haha. Now I am on The FAL Files trying to get a price estimate. The folks at FAL Files hint that the type b bayos are worth quite a bit, but I cannot seem to find anyone selling or buying them to get a price range. It is quite frustrating. Thanks again!

?

Is the bayonet marked X2E1 and/or the scabbard marked X2xx?

?

Quote by maciasd3 View Post
    You do win sir, and I tip my hat to your internet prowling status :-). I found that same page about a minute ago too, haha. Now I am on The FAL Files trying to get a price estimate. The folks at FAL Files hint that the type b bayos are worth quite a bit, but I cannot seem to find anyone selling or buying them to get a price range. It is quite frustrating. Thanks again!
    Actually I knew this one on sight as this rather ungainly but distinctive bayonet was discussed on another forum not too long ago.....further more I also have a certain amount of interest in bayonets (though mostly pre 1945 bayonets).

The UK designed bayonet with the prong flashider is the Model A. And this particular one could be the Canadian version(?). The Model B (T48) is a little shorter with just a muzzle ring. What does the blade look like? FP

I'll post pictures of the blade a little later, but I finally found this bayo on worldbayonets.com. It is a type "A" Argentinean: Argentina. The final clue that was driving me mad was the almost complete lack of stamps or identification save a single serial number. This is what originally lead me to believe that it was the type b for the T48 because the US FAL bayos only had the serial and no other markings (according to a poster at the FAL Files). My issue is that I still cannot seem to find many that have been sold online. I am going to sell this one and a Swedish m/1896 at a gun/antiques show later today and I would like to have a general idea on what I could expect from each one. The mauser was pretty easy to research seeing how common it is, but the FAL is proving more difficult. Any ideas? Thanks for the help folks!
    Last edited by maciasd3; 04-08-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast