Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Boer war bayonet / ww1 trench knife

Article about: Hey guys Annoyed from this ads?   Picked this up today was wondering if anyone could shead some light on it. Apparently it's been converted sometime around either the boer war or first

Default Boer war bayonet / ww1 trench knife

Hey guys

Picked this up today was wondering if anyone could shead some light on it. Apparently it's been converted sometime around either the boer war or first world was as a trench knife. Can anyone decipher the markings on the bayonet? Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers vampy Boer war bayonet / ww1 trench knifeBoer war bayonet / ww1 trench knifeBoer war bayonet / ww1 trench knife

?

Pattern 1888 MKII, most of the markings are inspectors marks, with a bend test "X", crown over V.R. for Queen Victoria (monarch at the time of production) and the manufacture date of January of 1900. Here is the site I use to decypher English markings:

Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets

Jim

Hey!

Cheers for the reply, i used the site but couldn'tBoer war bayonet / ww1 trench knife work out this last mark. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

?

I think it'll be an inspectors mark from the royal small arms factory enfield, where the bayonet was made.

Alex

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    I think it'll be an inspectors mark from the royal small arms factory enfield, where the bayonet was made.

Alex
    Agree with Alex's answer.

Jim

Aahh thank you guys

Yes, that is a stage mark or inspectors mark. As the bayonet was made an inspector would check the bayonet at a number of critical stages and each inspector would make his mark in the appropriate place. Some times the same inspector would leave his mark on various parts/places which indicates he covered a number of different stage checks.