Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon Bayonet

Article about: Hi guys, im not an expert but have a working knowledge of these..this is i believe a British made 1907, 2/1912 Enfield Bayonet,sent to Australia..My understanding this is a N.S.W 2nd distric

You have your self a very nice genuine P07 Hooked Quillon Bayonet, the hooked quillon examples sell for silly money in the UK as they are quite scarce, nice score.

Harry an X marked not on the blade but on the metal on the handle means SOS..this doesnt have one,but every other year before does..m3bobby is right the X marked on the blade signifies the side of the bend test
    Lugerlout, i paid a fortune for this one lol ...being the 1912 with no serial numbers was the clincher..There is an Australian expert im trying to get hold of atm to fill in some gaps..Thank you all for your interest and comments

That's correct about the X mark. And as far as I am aware the bend test is the final test on the blade - hence the final inspection mark. As well as the sold out of service mark - the crows feet set point to point, there is also a condemned mark which was used. a double capital R - the left R being a mirror image.

Here are a few pictures of the markings on my 1914 dated example. Not as rare as the hooked quillion, but the omission of the oiler hole still makes it a rare early model. The condition of bayonet and scabbard are superb. It is marked to 3rd Battalion Welsh Fusiliers.

British Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon Bayonet

It looks a nice one Harry and your right about that nice interim period P1907.. the 1916 War Dept modification of a "Clearance Hole" is a good way to check fakes of Quillons

Heres a good guide for P1907 bayonets Identification

A couple more pictures. The serial number on the scabbard matches the bayonet. Markings on scabbard are HGR '15 and broad arrow, crown , XO over F? '15. What makes this bayonet all the nicer is that it only cost me £45 when I purchased it at a car-boot last year. It quickly replaced my other bayonet which was a poorer example. It looks rather good when mounted on my 1912 SMLe Mk111 which still has volley sights, mag cut-off and early pattern magazine.

British Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon Bayonet

I have a mint mk3 with cut off and volley sights..but i found a guy on ebay in france that sells a copy of lee enfield mount just for mounting bayonets
    British Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon Bayonet
    Support Display Stand for Enfield N°1 MK3 Bayonet | eBay

?

All nice bayonets! bboywizard, Have you thought about shooting an e-mail to Carl at old smithy? Carl is a great guy, always willing to help a fellow collector with his vast knowledge on the subject. Be sure to let him know your just looking to fill in some blanks and not for info to add to an ebay auction.

Jim

I might do that Jim..thanks.. Theres this really good Australian guy,knows absolutely everything known about the aussie ones, but he hasnt been online the last few days,im just waiting to see what he says

Very nice bayonet indeed and well sought after!

I believe the 'hook quillion' was designed to break the enemy bayonet in hand-to-hand fighting but proved to be ineffective and was discontinued by 1913, many having the hook removed.

This relic example of mine, made by Enfield and dated 1911, was discovered by my uncle over 40 years ago hidden in a chimney breast in an old terrace house in Liverpool. It looks to have been used as a poker for the fire!

British Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon BayonetBritish Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon Bayonet

Cheers,

Ian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast