Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.

Article about: Good evening gentlemen, I need a sword expert to confirm is this a original Wilkinson blade. I liked the style and it was a bargain for 50 euros British infantry dress sword 1854 pattern hil

Default British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.

Good evening gentlemen,

I need a sword expert to confirm is this a original Wilkinson blade. I liked the style and it was a bargain for 50 euros

British infantry dress sword 1854 pattern hilt with a 1897 pattern straight blade I believe. Only thing I cannot find is a actual makers stamp or a serial/issue number.

The scabbard is made from brass as is the hilt. The blade I think is nickel plated.

British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe.

Hello mate,
    I may be wrong but it looks like a World Wide Arms Copy with its leather grip.
    They do not put makers names or numbers on their swords made in India.
    Regards
    Jim

Quote by Paratrooper View Post
    Hello mate,
    I may be wrong but it looks like a World Wide Arms Copy with its leather grip.
    They do not put makers names or numbers on their swords made in India.
    Regards
    Jim
    I concur.

Whether or not WWA are responsible for this I couldn't say and I am no sword "expert" but to me as Jim says, the leather on the grip is wrong, it should be fish skin. Also, to me, the etching of the blade is wrong. In fact I don't think it is etching at all, rather it is an integral feature of the blade as it was manufactured. Genuine etching is much more finely detailed even when worn. Also, I believe that the sword patterns referred to should be 1845 and 1892 not '54 and '97.

Again, I am not sure if this is a WWA product but they have a lot of previous for, shall I say, not clearly pointing out that they sell repro items.

I have a Soviet shaska from them which looks spot on except for the grip being made of cast resin rather than wood but I know it is repro and it is only a display piece in the background of my real collection. I also have a Sten bayonet (yep there was such a thing) from them which they were offering as real until I looked the chap in the eye and made an unequivocal statement "this is repro isn't it?" to which he looked down and said "well, yes". I paid repro price and am OK with it as originals are as rare as chickens teeth So, the point is; know the subject before considering a purchase.

Anyway, as for the subject sword. I would like to hear an expert correct Jim and I by confirming this as a good item but I really don't think so.
    At 50€ I think you have got what you paid for and as long as you do not expect anything more than a "deko" or wall hanger then this one is OK. A genuine sword for that price in anything better than relic condition would be a bargain indeed.

I hope this helps but as I say, I am not a sword expert just a general militaria enthusiast as far as these go

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Over the years I've seen different batches of British pattern swords from India and/or Pakistan with this one possibly one of the earlier ones? But really needing an in hand or closer look to make that determination. That said, the bottom line is that unlike the proof marks posted below it's not a Wilkinson. Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images British infantry dress sword 1897 pattern maybe. 

I agree with the above statements. Something amiss with
    this one - including the brass scabbard..........
    Regards,

Steve.