Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British Nepalese?

Article about: Got this heavy and nice sword bayo yesterday. It´s a british made P1887 Mk III and has a lot of british stamps e.t.c. But I´m wondering about two markings in both bayonet and scabbard that a

?

Default British Nepalese?

Got this heavy and nice sword bayo yesterday.

It´s a british made P1887 Mk III and has a lot of british stamps e.t.c.
    But I´m wondering about two markings in both bayonet and scabbard that are likely oriental... Seller told it´s nepalese language but I didn´t find any information about selling of those british bayonets into Nepal? Has anybody some more information about - what markings those are?

Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Nepalese?   British Nepalese?  

Greetings Bruno,

In 2003, in Katmandu, Nepal in 2003. The International Military Antiques (IMA) company realized the end of a 30 year quest to save more than 50,000 antique firearms. The material included over 150 Napoleonic Era Bronze cannons, P-1796 Brown Bess Muskets, P-1871 Martini-Henry Rifles, and countless edged weapons. This hoard belonged to the Royal Nepalese Gurkha Army. The cache was stored in an ancient palace called Lagan Silekhana since 1839. You can see the cache’s story here Christian Cranmer discusses the Nepal Cache: Part One - YouTube The company has been selling these bayonets ever since they retrieved them see this link British P-1887 Mk III Sword Bayonet with Brass Hilted Scabbard ima-usa.com While the “generic” pictured bayonet in their add does not show your bayo's specific markings, my assumption is it is from this cache of imported from Nepal weapons. If you watch the video, it explains how these weapons got to Nepal in the first place. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lance

?

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive answer

This is good enough confirmation for me to list that bayo as a Nepalese (not British) within my collection.
    I find this very great that dealing with bayos you have to gain all the time new knowledge and (sometimes hidden) information.

[QUOTE/]........In 2003, in Katmandu, Nepal in 2003. The International Military
    Antiques (IMA) company realized the end of a 30 year quest to save more
    than 50,000 antique firearms. The material included over 150 Napoleonic
    Era Bronze cannons, P-1796 Brown Bess Muskets, P-1871 Martini-Henry
    Rifles, and countless edged weapons. This hoard belonged to the Royal
    Nepalese Gurkha Army. The cache was stored in an ancient palace
    called Lagan Silekhana since 1839.......[/QUOTE]

" Gods Holy Trousers......... "
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Nepalese?  
    Regards,

Steve.

Greetings Bruno,

You are very welcome. I’m happy you’re pleased with my efforts.

Regards,

Lance