Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918

Article about: by Correus Hello Everyone! The bayonet finally arrived and I got some additional pictures. I tried to get a picture of the maker's marks on the leather part of the scabbard but didn't have a

Default Re: British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918

Quote by Correus View Post
    Hello Everyone!

The bayonet finally arrived and I got some additional pictures.

I tried to get a picture of the maker's marks on the leather part of the scabbard but didn't have any luck. It does have what looks like a crown/inspection stamp, under that a "12" and under this the "broad arrow". The metal parts of the scabbard have "RE" stamped on them. Also, the frog stud is a teardrop shape, not round.

The leather is an extremely rich reddish brown and feels silky.

The blade is EXTREMELY tight coming out of and going into the scabbard - is this normal? Also, should I treat the blade with something like gun oil?

One last question, and this is an odd one....

When looking at the bayonet, in the scabbard, should the rifle whole on the guard be to the left or right oh the frog stud? I did Google this but found them facing both ways. seeings how the military likes to micro manage every aspect of life and kit I figured there was a 'correct' way it should be in the scabbard.
    A very nice scabbard. Judging by the RE manufacturer mark and it's inspection mark, I can say with no doubt that it is in fact an American-made scabbard by Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Co, ordered by the British government in 1915 as part of an order for 1913 Pattern Bayonets (the bayonet for the British 1914 Pattern Rifle), placed with Remington and Winchester. These scabbards were completely interchangable with (and identical to) the 1907 Pattern Scabbard Mk II, and many ended up with 1907 Bayonets in them. I would recommend a little oil on the blade, just to lubricate it a little in and out of the scabbard.

As to which way round, the 'hole in the guard' (or 'muzzle ring' to give it it's proper name) should be to the right of the frog stud, just as you have it in the first picture. This is because the bayonet was always carried on the soldier's left side with the blade's cutting edge facing forward. In this way, the bayonet can easily be grabbed with the right hand, withdrawn from the scabbard, and fixed to the rifle in one easy movement.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

No problemo

Of course, Remington went on to make bayonets for the US M1917 Rifle, which was identical to the British 1914 Rifle/1913 Bayonet except in .300 calibre. The scabbards for the M1917 Bayonet were identical to this one except for having the US style wire hangar instead of the frog stud.

Rob

I have a Wilkinson 1907 pattern bayonet. According to the markings, it was manufactured in September 1917. One thing that amazes me is the excellent condition of the sheath. The leather is still supple and there are no cracks, or tears in the stitching. It seems to have been maintained for quite some time after the war ended...

Great thread gent's which has prompted me to add a few snaps of my own 1907 pattern. It appears to be dated March 1916, but what MOLE stamped in between means I have no idea. Can anyone identify the makers mark for me I can't work it out?

British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918

Also the sheath has NGR15 stamped into it. Was this a serial number that should correlate with one on the bayonet itself? If so I can find no serial number on the blade. It's feint but there is also a crown stamped into the sheath with 16 and 19 which I assume were inspection stamp dates. What it needs now is a nice ww1 frog to go with it.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian

MOLE - Robert Mole & Son, sword and bayonet makers. Taken over by Wilkinsons in 1920.

Mole made approximately 60000 Patt 1907 bayonets - to put that into perspective, Wilkinson made over 2.3 million and Enfield approx 500000.

Regards

Richie

NCA
    ?

R.Mole would be the maker.Strange that the 1907 is stamped over the royal cypher?The other numbers are inspection dates.
    Also, the NGR15 is i think a regimental abbreviation.
    Thinking about it.. the 3 16 could be when it was made, march 1916, but this appears to be stamped over the makers mark?

Thanks guys, I'm well pleased with that information and it will give me something to read up on tonight. Robert Mole and son, makes it fairly rare then. It didn't occur to me that was the maker.

Cheers,

Ian.

NCA
    ?

Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets

Just had a look at mine and it also is marked HGR15 on the scabbard.

Thanks for the link NCA, shame there's no NGR/HGR 15 info. on there but I bet someone on this forum will know. I'm still searching the net for clues and if I find anything I'll post it up. Cheers mate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast