MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet

Article about: Hello Guys, Been a while. I am showng a few of my latest additions to my collection. This one is a hard bayonet to find. It is described as a Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet (Territorial Ar

Default British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet

Hello Guys,
    Been a while. I am showng a few of my latest additions to my collection.

This one is a hard bayonet to find. It is described as a Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet (Territorial Army). This was used around 1908.
    This was designed for the Lee Metford/Enfield Rifle which was issued to the Territoral Army at the time so there was a standard length of bayonet for the SMLE and Long Lee models. It was found to be too long and too cumbersome so was taken out of service by 1910 and the standard 1888 continued in use.

There is a hole to accommodate the cleaning rod on the Metford.

As you can see it has the handle of the 1888 Pattern bayonet and the blade similar to the 1907 Pattern.
    There are no markings on it at all.
    Any ideas on this most welcome and value. I know in Carters book he valued this at £250+ over 20 years ago. I don't have the scabbard tough.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet   British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet  

British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet   British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet  

British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet   British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet  

Last edited by Paratrooper; 03-07-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet

Hello-according to 'British and C'wlth Bayonets' these were made during WW1 for Martini Enfield carbines (thus the great length of the blade) for the VTC. Pity about the lack of scabbard-all steel type is very rare amongst British bayos of the late 19th early 20th century.

Default Re: British Volunteer Training Corps Bayonet

I've got one of these... a relic one of course!