Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...

Article about: Hi, mates ! I do have a question. Received an MPBS M9 bayonet, manufactured by BUCK/PHROBIS in 1987. Were such bayonet´s, made by BUCK/PHROBIS in 1987, "GI-issued" actually, or, on

Default BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...

Hi, mates !

I do have a question.
    Received an MPBS M9 bayonet, manufactured by BUCK/PHROBIS in 1987.

Were such bayonet´s, made by BUCK/PHROBIS in 1987, "GI-issued" actually, or, only made as "commercial´s" ? ...

Thx. in advance,
    R.

BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...BUCK 188 / PHROBIS MPBS M9 bayonet "commercial" ? ...

?

Reibert,

Not sure about US issue but I have seen commercial bucks that were in Australian service-who knows if they were bought on contract or individually by a soldier to replace a lost item?

Alex

Thx. a lot, Alex !

Cheers,
    R.

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Reibert,

Not sure about US issue but I have seen commercial bucks that were in Australian service-who knows if they were bought on contract or individually by a soldier to replace a lost item?

Alex
    Alex, received this message in an other forum:

" ... Although no BUCK 188s were ever part of the U.S. Army contract with Phrobis, some commercial bayonets did enter the supply system unofficially. These were privately purchased by servicemen, which increased prior to Operation Desert Storm/Shield in Iraq. Initially the M9 was issued to Airborne and combat troops, so others wanting a M9 could have acquired a BUCK 188 at the base PX, etc. Another way BUCK 188s came into the supply system was via soldiers intentionally "exchanging" their issued Phrobis M9 with a BUCK 188. When the M9 was first issued, military contract examples were just not available to civilians or a G.I. might have wanted to keep his issued M9 as a souvenir of his service time, so a exchange was made. In fact, I was told by a well-known M9 collector "disappearing" M9s became such a problem with the Airborne units at Fort Bragg, N.C. an order was issued that if a soldier "lost" his M9 he would also loose one stripe in rank as well! One can see why any serviceman in this predicament would be quick to buy a BUCK 188 to replace his missing issued Phrobis M9. When it came time for the soldier to transfer or leave the service, and turn in his gear to supply, I can just about guarantee (based on my own experiences) no supply clerk was ever going to look over that bayonet, but just check it off as being returned... ...".

Maybe it´s from interest.

Cheers,
    R.