Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Ross bayonet

Article about: I picked this up yesterday in an Antique store for a price I'm happy to have paid. It's missing the catch, but is in pretty decent shape, otherwise. And does anyone know why so many Ross bay

Default Canadian Ross bayonet

I picked this up yesterday in an Antique store for a price I'm happy to have paid.

It's missing the catch, but is in pretty decent shape, otherwise. And does anyone know why so many Ross bayonets are missing the catch?

I've always liked the interesting blade shapes of the Ross bayonets, but never bought one.

I know next to nothing about these, so if anyone can decipher what I have I'd appreciate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian Ross bayonet   Canadian Ross bayonet  

Canadian Ross bayonet   Canadian Ross bayonet  

Canadian Ross bayonet  

?

I have seen a few of these modified into trench knives with the muzzle ring and locking bolt removed. By who and when? I don't know. I can't see for sure from the pictures but it looks like yours is missing some of the muzzle ring.

I can tell you that you have a modified Mark II Ross bayonet made at the Ross Rifle Co, Quebec in April 1915 with Mk II scabbard made by Hugh Carson Co. LTD, Ottawa. Both scabbard and bayonet have Canadian govt acceptance markings. In October 1915 the modified pattern was approved which gave the Mk II's rounded blade tip a sharper profile (like yours) to make a better penetrating point.

Alex

Quote by Alex W View Post
    I have seen a few of these modified into trench knives with the muzzle ring and locking bolt removed. By who and when? I don't know. I can't see for sure from the pictures but it looks like yours is missing some of the muzzle ring.

I can tell you that you have a modified Mark II Ross bayonet made at the Ross Rifle Co, Quebec in April 1915 with Mk II scabbard made by Hugh Carson Co. LTD, Ottawa. Both scabbard and bayonet have Canadian govt acceptance markings. In October 1915 the modified pattern was approved which gave the Mk II's rounded blade tip a sharper profile (like yours) to make a better penetrating point.

Alex
    Thanks, Alex!

The missing part of the puzzle has been found. This one has the ring cut off, so this one was converted, which explains the missing catch.

Thanks!!

CBH
    ?

I would say it was modified into a combat knife, I have an example with the entire pommel cut off, and barrel ring also removed. I have read that this was done during WWI when the Ross Rifle was replaced in a attempt to utilize these now surplus bayonet. Making them into combat knives.