Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???

Article about: Hello gentlemen! I just bought one french bayonet Chassepot Model 1866 (dated 1874) - see pictures. My question: Is this Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW

Default Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???

Hello gentlemen!
    I just bought one french bayonet Chassepot Model 1866 (dated 1874) - see pictures.
    My question: Is this Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1?
    Thank you very much, sorry about my bad english and regards from Brazil;
    Gustavo

Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???

There are several websites that deal with the history of bayonets...I suggest Googling "French Bayonets" for best results...
    cheers, GLenn

?

Most probably a late Chassepot production with serial number of Chatellerault rifle production. The using of 11mm rifles in WW1 were only by secure,guarding or second line duty units.

?

I think I have seen a picture of a ww2 british soldier with a captured Chassepot bayonet during the north african campaign. If I can find it I'll post it up. It would show that at least colonial troops were still using them into ww2.

Alex

?

"A British landing party return to their ship following operations against the Vichy French in Madagascar. One of the Marines has a French 1866 bayonet tucked into his 1908 web belt, a trophy taken from the French garrison"

Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the picture

Alex

?

Quote by GGranha View Post
    Hello gentlemen!
    I just bought one french bayonet Chassepot Model 1866 (dated 1874) - see pictures.
    My question: Is this Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1?
    Thank you very much, sorry about my bad english and regards from Brazil;
    Gustavo

Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???Chassepot bayonet Model 1866 came to be used by the French army in WW1???
    Gustavo, that is a very nice chassepot bayonet, I don't think you could find one in better condition! As Andy has said, it could have been used by 2nd line troops with the French. This is not one of them, but the model 1866 saw more use by the Germans than the French in WWI, especially in the Landwehr units. The Germans captured and received as reparations, a massive amount of these bayonets following the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71.

Jim

Hi Jim...I had one of these years ago..and the blade was painted black. My Great Uncle who was in WW2 brought this one back and I had never sen anything like it. I kept the K98 bayo but I ended up selling the chasse pot at a local flea market for a few dollars...it also did not have the scabbard with it at the time. What is the general value of these? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Jim...I had one of these years ago..and the blade was painted black. My Great Uncle who was in WW2 brought this one back and I had never sen anything like it. I kept the K98 bayo but I ended up selling the chasse pot at a local flea market for a few dollars...it also did not have the scabbard with it at the time. What is the general value of these? Regards Larry
    Really nice condition,numbers matching models, such as Gustavos', sell in the $150-$200 dollar range. Ones that have been modified by the Germans to fit the G98 Mauser can bring 2-3 times that, depending on the modification.

Jim

?

Very Nice one and like mention by Jim the WW1 German Landwehr used the modified version. I will try and find the pic I have of a Baden Landwer soldat with it at his side while posing with his commission 88 rifle.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I found the pic I mentioned.

The info I have is Otto is from the LIR 40.Ers.Btln.4 Komp

That mustache was a hit even back then!!!!

If you zoom in you will see that it is one of the modified Chassepot bayonets.
    Needless to say with having the Baden Landwher Haube and commission 88, that this modified bayonet is on my bucket list to complete that display setup.

Semper Fi
    Phil.