Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet

Article about: Hello Guys .A work mate gave me this cutdown it was in the garage when he moved in a good few years ago. Looks like a period piece but ya can never tell have a look see wot ya think. Paul

?

Default cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet

Hello Guys .A work mate gave me this cutdown it was in the garage when he moved in a good few years ago.
    Looks like a period piece but ya can never tell have a look see wot ya think. Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet   cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet  

cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet   cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet  

cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet   cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet  

cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet  

?

Default Re: cutdown ww1 british/u.s bayonet

hi ,cut down for use as a trench knife i would think......paul

Hello-the bayo is either a British P13 for the Enfield P14 rifle or the US M1917 for the M1917 rifle-they are identical except for the ownership markings on the blade which aren't ledgible from the photos-both countries used the rifles and bayos in both world wars, primarily for training in WW2 and homeguard use in the UK-it was common for broken blades to be ground down for use as fighting knives but also this was sometimes done post war for civilian use as everything except military surplus was in short supply.

?

By looking at the two notches on the wood handles it looks like it is Remington made.

?

British P1913 , no hole for cleaning on pommel

?

Attachment 200650Attachment 200651Attachment 200652Here is what I based it being a Remington mfg. 1913 5-17 Circle Remington, on reverse is British proofs made for British enfield by Rem. These are identicle to the Wilkerson except for the notches, I purchased 9 of these in Afghanistan in 2003.
    Last edited by uh60; 05-02-2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: missed attachments

Hello-Wilkinson made no P13 bayos-1500 were made by Vickers but the vast majority were made by Remington and Winchester in the US-all P13/M17 bayos have the parallel grooves on the handle and are interchangeable on both P14 and M1917 rifles-the clearance hole is present on all except the original Vickers preproduction batch of 1913.

Sorry, as stated above the P1913 came as standard without the clearance hole, with the hole being added for the US production of the M1917 version.

?

I might be a dummy but I wished I had bought a Wilkinson bayo when I had the chance they were Identical to the Rem 1913's I did purchase, I held them in my hand and compared them, I just was more interested in the Rems, and not getting shot at the same time. Not trying to argue but I know what I looked at.

uh60-what you may have seen was a P07 bayo or one made into a P13 replica-fakery of all types of militaria is very common in south Asia where labour is cheap and the raw materials are plentiful and has been done for decades with various degrees of skill and attention to detail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast