Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Device from the S98 / 05 bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone, I need help. What is this device from the S98 / 05 bayonet? , and what it's for, thank you for the info Greetings to all, Grigor

Default Device from the S98 / 05 bayonet

Hello everyone, I need help. What is this device from the S98 / 05 bayonet? , and what it's for, thank you for the info

Greetings to all, Grigor

?

That is an oddity. Nothing I have ever seen.
    I'll be staying tuned to this thread to see what it turns out to be.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanx AZPhil. I am very interested in opinions. I only know that this strange device is original from World War 1.

Have a nice day

Grigor

I have seen these before, some day ww1 device, others say great depression era cutting device made for cutting stems and agriculture/crops harvests.

Morris

Default Wood Splitter

Greetings Grigor,

According to Anthony Carter's Book German Bayonets The Models 98/02 and 98/05 (1984) on page 62, this device was a post-WWI invention used specifically to split wood. What is not explained is why anyone would require such a specialized device. This device would have been firmly mounted to a surface using the screw holes on the two retaining bands (one of which is the pivot point for the front of the de-tipped blade). This device would have greatly assisted in making very small kindling strips, which would facilitate getting a wood/coal stove or fireplace quickly lit.

On the same page, Carter also included a reprint of a page from a British Ministry of Home Security Pamphlet (dated 1943), which discusses how the scabbard (only) section of this splitter device was riveted to the vanes of some German High Explosive Bombs to add to the whistling (& terror) effect while the bomb was falling.

In the end, these were a post-WWI German Company's application for the large stocks of surplus WWI 98/05 Bayonets. However, there must have been substantial unsold stocks available if the military was using their leftover cut scabbards during WWII.

Best,

V/r Lance

Hi there,

this is a known modification of the S98 / 05 to a wood chipper after the First World War. This device was called "splitter".

Holzspalter D.R.P. Splitter Bajonett 98/05 - Bajonette/Seitengewehre - Militaria Fundforum

https://lot-tissimo.com/es/i/8942955
    Attached Files Attached Files

I actually saw one of these at a gun show many years ago.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.