Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch M95

Article about: I have a Mannlicher M.95 bayonet that I was told was brought back from the Second Boer War by a Canadian soldier. From the research I've done, it would seem that it's an early version, made

Default Boer M.95?

I have a Mannlicher M.95 bayonet that I was told was brought back from the Second Boer War by a Canadian soldier. From the research I've done, it would seem that it's an early version, made sometime between 1895 and 1900, as it has a quillon. It also seems to be intended for the Carbine No.3, as its pommel is turned 90 degrees. The scabbard appears to be of the "Bicycle Corps" variety. The Crown T inspection marks would, as I understand it, indicate the bayonet was inspected by K. A. Brauning, probably at Steyr, and the bayonet may possibly be from the first shipment of M.95's. Would you all agree with what I've written so far?

My other questions would be, is the Boer War bring-back story plausible? Also, the bayonet appears to have been shortened. Does this destroy its value?

Here are some photos:
    Dutch M95
    Dutch M95
    Dutch M95
    Dutch M95
    Dutch M95
    Dutch M95

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide!
    Last edited by Hallibag; 05-20-2017 at 03:48 AM.

It's an interesting bayonet and story. My first question would be; did Boer farmers use bayonets in the South African war? They were an irregular force, on horseback usually and sniping and using guerilla tactics. The bayonet may not have been a particularly useful weapon given the nature of the war. I haven't seen any photos of Boers with bayonets, perhaps you have.
    The other and perhaps more likely possibility is that it is a World War One bring back.

Thanks for your reply, Anderson. I really have no idea about Boers and their use - or not! - of bayonets. Hopefully somebody on this board might know.

If they DID use bayonets, this would be the type I would expect, intended for use with a horse mounted soldier's carbine. Also, the family this bayonet came from had other indisputable Boer War items. So, fingers crossed this story checks out.