Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First World War German Knife - Need more info

Article about: Hi, This knife belonged to my Grandfather who fought in France during World War 1. My Grandmother used to tell me he got it from a German soldier and I know it is German as it was manufactur

Default First World War German Knife - Need more info

Hi,
    This knife belonged to my Grandfather who fought in France during World War 1. My Grandmother used to tell me he got it from a German soldier and I know it is German as it was manufactured in Solingen but I don't know if it is military issue or something that would have been purchased privately and taken to war. Can anyone help me out with some more information on what sort of knife it is and who would have carried something like this during the Great War. Also, although I have no intention of selling it, I would be interested to know if it has any value.
    Many Thanks
    Andytee
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First World War German Knife - Need more info   First World War German Knife - Need more info  

First World War German Knife - Need more info   First World War German Knife - Need more info  

First World War German Knife - Need more info  

Not an military issued knive.

Maker: Robert Herder

Reibert, Many Thanks for the makers name.

Can anyone give me any more info regarding this knife.

Would it be something a soldier might carry, what would it be predominantly used for i.e combat or more practical uses and does it have any value?

Not an issue knife and not a fighting knife as it doesn't look strong enough, perhaps he brought it from home to slice his wurst ration!...

?

Hi Andy , It is a vintage hunting knife , i believe many of these were carried and substituted for use as a fighting knife during WW1
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

First World War German Knife - Need more info Here's one quite similar described as a "German early 20th century hunting/skinning knife"!...

Greetings Andy,

I agree with all the previous posters, here are some similar knives in action. Look like they were utilized as all around knives for eating, common cutting tasks and of course close combat. Here’s a contemporary WWI picture show similar knives “in action.” With a close up of the table where the knives are stuck in the table's surface. Thanks for sharing your knife.

Regards,

Lance

First World War German Knife - Need more infoFirst World War German Knife - Need more info

Guys,
    Thanks very much for all the feedback regarding the knife. I suspected it was a personal piece that was taken to the front but was not sure as to its use in the trenches. The pictures of similar knives in action are fantastic. That's what I love about this forum, the ability it has to breathe life into an object and give it historical perspective. This piece meant a lot to me before but it is even more special now I have some context. Unfortunately my Grandfather died when I was an infant, I would have loved to have asked him about his experiences and how he acquired the knife. Anyway, thanks again guys, keep up the good work.
    Andytee

I think nearly every soldier in the great war carried a knife or dagger, as it was very normal is those days (and well up into the 20th century) to have a pocket knife. And some were army issued, but also a lot were private knife's. Without even talking about a fighting knife, but just a good knife would be one of your most important pieces of kit under those circumstances they were living and working in.

div3
    ?

Default Robert Herder vintage hunting knife

Hello,
    I also have a similiar knife my grandfather brought back from the war along w/ several others. We had the knife handle restored about 25 years ago. I'm not really interested in selling mine either but would be interested to know of it's value if anyone has an idea? Thnx

First World War German Knife - Need more infoFirst World War German Knife - Need more infoFirst World War German Knife - Need more info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast