Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

French Bayonet???

Article about: Hi all, I need some help with this one, These are the only photos I have for now, this belongs to my brother in law and im trying to find out more about it and if its real, it was given to h

Default French Bayonet???

Hi all, I need some help with this one, These are the only photos I have for now, this belongs to my brother in law and im trying to find out more about it and if its real, it was given to his dad by his uncle, he was told it was from the arsenal in austria, I believe its a French Model 1874 "Gras" Infantry Rifle Bayonet, if anyone knows more please feel free to add your two cents, any info will be appreciated, thank you!
    French Bayonet???French Bayonet???French Bayonet???

Default Re: French Bayonet???

You are correct - it is a French 'Gras' bayonet, and in excellent condition.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Made by Steyr in Austria 1878-very handily both the Gras and the previous M1866 Chassepot bayos have the arsenal and year of manufacture engraved on the spine of the blade. Even major armies had at least some of their bayos made by foreign countries who were potential enemies (France had fought Austria as late as 1849). See attached my example made by the St Etienne arsenal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Bayonet???  

Thank you

it also appears to have matching numbers!

?

Yes the numbers are not typical for Gras rifle, probably used on a Chassepot, maybe the bayonet never went to France as the delivery was about 200 thousand or more pieces.

Yes it does have matching numbers, Im not sure where it went but it ended up somehow in the USA.