MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

French "M 1916" "Avenger"

Article about: Hi, mates ! Wanna show you a french combat knife, aka, "Le Vengeur de 1870" This "Couteau Poignard Mle 1916" was in military use in the French Army till 1939. In 1940, af

All logos manufacturers french knife model 1916.
    Amitiés de France.
    excerpt from my book on French daggers of the war 14/18.
    Editions du Brevail
    French "M 1916"  "Avenger"
    Last edited by Mery Christian; 06-18-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Marque rare Pataud

PRE
    ?

Does the '41 GONON' marked example indicate manufacture in 1941, as it would seem? If so, who were the intended end users in a time of occupation?

Also, where are you gentlemen finding these? I'd love to add one to my collection of period edged weapons.
    Best,
    Pat

Gonon 41 is not the date of manufacture but the manufacturer's mark which was under the company's brand S.G.C.O. S.G.C.O. Société Générale de Coutellerie & d'Orfèvrerie of which produced knives in 1916 with this brand.
    This knife was used by the Germans during the Second World War under the reference the French knife-dagger model 1916 which takes the name (116f).
    You can find it on shopping sites like eBay or Delcampe, but prices are very high.
    I can try to find you a copy or you can purchase a copy in France and I can send you.
    Last edited by Mery Christian; 07-07-2016 at 01:53 PM.

PRE
    ?

Thank you for the quick response, Mery! PM sent.
    Pat

I could have made a new thread for it, but I think it better fits in this - very informative - one.
    Here's my "76" ; thought of getting one of these since 40+ years, almost forgot about that, then this guy crossed my path very abruptly a couple of days ago. Could not let it go away.

As far as I know, the maker "76" was Bessette-Murs in Thiers. By the way, thanks to Mr Merry for posting here some pages of his book.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French "M 1916"  "Avenger"   French "M 1916"  "Avenger"  

PRE
    ?

Beautiful example, congratulations! I like these types of fighting knives.

Pat

Hi, mates,

AFAIK the "Vengeur" was very popular in the Kriegsmarine.
    French "M 1916"  "Avenger"French "M 1916"  "Avenger"French "M 1916"  "Avenger"

Reibert : thanks for this great studio photo. I guess these accessories were only for the looks, and that they didn't stab anybody in combat with these knives.

Back to the origins, below a picture of a "Section de zigouilleurs" ("SZ", with grenade, knife and revolver symbols) ; an absolutely un-translatable funny slang term, but one could get close with "[Trench-]snuffers section". The photo is taken in an obviously funny manner too, but there's no doubt it was done with the intend to mask the reality of their actions on the field. These guys were the primary users of Vengeur knives, among a lot of other different stabbing devices.

French "M 1916"  "Avenger"French "M 1916"  "Avenger"French "M 1916"  "Avenger"

The reason for the reinforcement of the base of the handle with a metal ring on the second models : crack of the wood on a 1st model by Bourgade and another (on 2 different places of the handle) by Astier-Prodon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French "M 1916"  "Avenger"   French "M 1916"  "Avenger"  

Attached Images Attached Images French "M 1916"  "Avenger" 
    Last edited by Das Edelweiss; 08-23-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast