Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

French Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinions

Article about: I am assuming the scabbard and the bayonet were number matching when in original condition. I was also not able determine what the proof marks on the quillion. All opinions are appreciated.

Default French Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinions

I am assuming the scabbard and the bayonet were number matching when in original condition. I was also not able determine what the proof marks on the quillion. All opinions are appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

French Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinionsFrench Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinionsFrench Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinionsFrench Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinionsFrench Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinionsFrench Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinionsFrench Model 1874 Gras Bayonet for opinions

A nice tidy Gras bayonet John. This one made 1882 for the French Army at the St.Etienne Arms factory. These were matched to a rifle and the rifle serial number stamped on the quillion and scabbard. Originally they would have matched. These bayonets went on in reserve and colonial service to WW1 and probably later. I have one my grandfather collected on his travels with Royal Navy in the 1920's.

Thank you Anderson. I did not realize they went as far as numbering them to the rifle. A lottery winner if someone has the rifle and sees this thread.
    John

made in FĂ©vrier, february.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thank you Lebus12.
    John

?

Both parts are mostly St.Etienne marked, even unmatched. br.Andy